Aftermarket ECU

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Aftermarket ECU

Post by TD05 »

There has been a bit posted about aftermarket ECUs for the Starions, my question is, what's the most economic way to replace the factory unit, in regards to sensors compatibility, I believe that the Vortex AFM will not work with most (if any).. Can a Wolf3D be installed with the std sensors?, will it work with the std ignitor? will it work with just the map sensor, does it come with a pre programed eprom (map) loaded so it will run on a stock engine?, or does need to be retuned etc... :?
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

The wolf has it's own a/f management and sensors so you won't need the vortex anyways same goes with alot of the other sensors.

wolf seems to be a common ecu replacement and I think it is cost effective compared to other ecus.

Cheers
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

ECU

Post by Starion VR4 »

The Wolf 3D comes with its own sensors, MAP, WATER TEMP, AIR TEMP, you have to use your throttle position sensor. Yes it will run your std ignition, but better if you upgrade it to TWIN wasted spark or direct fire coils, your expence will limit how far you want to go. No map is supplied, but i have 10 you can start with, but really the time it takes to make 1 from scratch isn't that long. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Chris 83JA
almost postwhore

Post by Chris 83JA »

as far as i'm concerned, the whole point of an aftermarket ecu is to get rid of your crappy worn out standard sensors
David
I like starions more

Wolf 3D.

Post by David »

The Wolf (at least the one's I've seen, so I assume some of the newer ones as well) has a built in MAP sensor. So that's covered.

It doesn't need the MAF either (airbox) so you can use a pod.

It does come with an air temp sensor, so install then in your Intercooler/crossover pipe.

Unless it's broken, you can use your old TPS (Throttle position sensor) and replacement temp sensors are just a screw-in change.

The magnetic pickup in your dizzy is supported (I have one in my racing car) but better to go optical.

The hardest part is connecting it all back to the harness. That involves such advanced techniques as crimping (or maybe soldering).

You can completely remove the Starion engine harness (passenger side) in one piece, without affecting your lighting/cluster harness. Then just throw the wolf in, and if you want to get really technical, you can even connect up your old Tacho.

Well, that's about it.

I've installed a wolf before, and it wasn't that bad. It was removed from another car, but installed into a Starion, so I still had to remove the old ECU harness. But I didn't have to crimp all the new connectors (already there) so it saved me some time.

On the other hand, I had no wiring diagrams, and it was already all taped up, so I had to reverse engineer the old harness with a multimeter, which took me an hour or so of patient testing rather than planning.

Regards
David.

So
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

I have a MT LTX8 and it uses its inbuilt MAP sensor with the mitsu TPS to get a reading. Ditch the karmann vortex unit ASAP, and it isnt compatible with any aftermarket ecu anyway.

It does NOT come with water or air temp sensors, you have to buy these yourself. The standard ignition is fine if you wish to keep it, but i opted for multi coil and optical dizzy (more hassle than its worth believe me).

If i had my time again, id probably go Wolf for the amount of support available for them. Golden rule: an ecu is only as good as its tuner.

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

What was the hassle of multi coil and optical dizzy using the MT?
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

that was mostly my fault.. i had an optical dizzy without cyl1 ref, then when i managed to score one, the ecu had to be sent back to be reprogrammed :oops:

For all that though, i dont know if it would have been of much benefit? I dont spend much time at the top of my revs these days (blown turbo and iffy engine)..

tom.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

The new MT's don't ahve to be sent back to MT themselves anymore for reprogramming. dealers can do that themselves now, so much easier (and cheaper). I am considering going to an optical dizzy.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

then i guess this "rotortech" place was having me on. I didnt have to pay for it to be reprogrammed but they sent it off anyway?

cheers

tom.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

At least it didn't cost you as they normally charge 200 for the privilege. he latest MT ecu's released this year are the ones I am talking about -
LT(X)8S, LT(X)12S models etc.

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

*Start plug*

I have a Haltech E6K which is no longer available, however the E6X is basically the same with some added features. I got it for $1495 incl MAP sensor and some other sensors incase you need them. It has some excellent features and is i believe alot more versatile than the Wolf. The differences being it comes with all options activated for use, you dont need to get it modified to add in things like turbo timer, anti-lag, aux fuel pump, closed loop control, wastegate control, just to name a few.
If you want a simple cheap ECU with limited functions and tunability go the Wolf. If you want something that is versatile, very tunable and not that much more cost then i recommend u go the Haltech. It also has quickmap function which allows you to put in a few values and get your car started (which mine did first time surprisingly... it even drove).
There's heaps of info about it on their website... www.haltech.com.au

no i dont work for haltech... i'm just a very happy customer :)

Steve.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

ecu

Post by Starion VR4 »

It has some excellent features and is i believe alot more versatile than the Wolf. The differences being it comes with all options activated for use, you dont need to get it modified to add in things like turbo timer, anti-lag, aux fuel pump, closed loop control, wastegate control, just to name a few.
The wolf3d ver4 does all this and more. comes with sensors the only one required is TPS. as most car have these already you can get one, cheap and easy. producing a map both ignition and fuel is easyier than most i have tried haltech and ems
If you want a simple cheap ECU with limited functions and tunability go the Wolf. If you want something that is versatile, very tunable and not that much more cost then i recommend u go the Haltech
. Wolf is not by any means cheap and nasty and is regared as in the the top five in after market ecu's :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

I never said it's cheap and nasty. I said cheap because the ver 3s are cheap and i was pretty much referring to the ver3. the version 4 i have heard of problems particularly with starting... and when you consider costs the haltech proves better value. i did do a fair bit of research before just reaching for my wallet and buying the e6k. i like the idea of a handset... but i like my haltech more. :D
TD05
it's probably their firewall

Post by TD05 »

Thanx everyone, I think the wolf is on the money, at leats I've got something to shoot for now, it'd be great to piss that AFM off for good and getting some of the wasted power back again, now it's back to my piggy bank...
Kiss my st AZZ -
Starions rule the sports car world
GTI-R's are best in the wet..
Who needs Rock & Roll when there's JAZZ, Honda RULEZ