Turbo set up Questions

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
luifly
[L] Plates

Turbo set up Questions

Post by luifly »

Hello

I have SWB NB Pajero 2.6L 4g54, which i have converted to EFI using standard wiring, injectors, and computer off a TN Magna.

My car is a little bit of a toy, and now that it is running sweet on EFI i am thinking i might take a further step. Turbo :) . Nothing fancy and not a lot of boost

Now the questions i want to ask are:

1. Manifolds - I have been keeping an eye on one in the states http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Mitsubis ... ccessories which will cost about AU$335.55 delivered. Dose this seem ok, or should i source one locally for cheaper?

2. Computers - What is my best option.
Will the standard Magna computer cope with low boost?
or, Is it possible to use a Starion ecu and plug it straight into the Magna wiring loom (i can attach photos and wiring diagrams of the Magna ecu if necessary)
or, Aftermarket? (Very last option as i don't want to spend thousands and thousands on just a bit of fun)

Thank You
Luis
MrSparkle
[P] Plates

Post by MrSparkle »

I would suggest you try to find an old aftermarket one mate. Micotech or something along those lines. Should pick one up for about 500ish and easily run your set up no matter how much boost you decide on.

Another alternative could be to use a rising rate fuel pressure reg and keep the boost down. I have see this done in the past on a rb30e in a vl and a turbo manifold slapped on the side. Happily took an extra 6 psi and went on to 150% gain over standard. Ran like it was always that way and stayed in one piece pretty well too.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

He is about to take the first step down the path that leads to owning your very own moneypit.
From memory I only wanted a bit more grunt so I had a 3inch dump and exhaust fitted and 17 years later look what that first step led me to today :shock:
It could have been much worse as I was hunting for an RX7 I was intending to have the primarys extended ported and the secondaries bridge ported :wtf:
Last edited by OLD FART on Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:20 am, edited 3 times in total.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

That manifold is too thin and will crack. Had a big issue with that, fortunately the original vendor offered full refunds.

Starion ECU won't handle 4 injectors.

You could get an ECU/harness for a 4g63t motor, from a vr4, and then get an optical dizzy... I think you guys got 4g54 ones from super late Magnas?? Or you could use a late 4g64 dizzy that's optical. Then to adjust the fuel get a piggyback controller SAFC or something.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
luifly
[L] Plates

Post by luifly »

Ive been looking at a MagaSquirt ECU which i can get a kit for US$378 + postage http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/4g37 ... p-294.html

Also on that site they explane how to adapt it to a 4g63 http://www.diyautotune.com/tech_article ... _laser.htm. What would be the difference between a 4g63 and a 4g54?
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Adaptronics can be had for about $650, heaps better than anything else for the money. I would be trying to find a factory setup (turbo and manifold or just manifold)off a sigma turbo or US starion/conquest. Set of vr4 injectors, intercooler/piping and exhaust and your done. Might need a clutch though.
bulldogger
Lil' Dorifto

Post by bulldogger »

in relation to a ecu i'd be going a link g4 strom exact same features as vipec but a lot lighter on the wallet
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i have a basic old wolf 2d for sale for $200
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
flav
Austarion Occupant

Post by flav »

The STD Magna ecu may take some boost. I did one with a stromberg carb on it @ 5psi in a Scorpion (not sure what that is in ur country) and it bloody flew! 5psi!! Knocking the timing back a little will help with detonation if it becomes an issue, but best bet is a starion (or other) boost retard/vac advance diaphragm unit in place of the std unit.

I had another one that just needed a little tiny extra fuel on boost so i fitted a pressure switch on the manifold, put a T peice in the pressure line and ran another injector to the inlet manifold. You can play with cheap fuel injectors out of junk yard cars. Start with a small engine injector and go up as u need.
I have seen 6this set up using 3 or 4 pressure switches to come in at different boost levels as it creeps up. Its pretty old school but it works ok.

Pressure switches are avail. on ebay. Most are adjustable in certain perameters.