Wheel Alignment Settings

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Wheel Alignment Settings

Post by RiceThief »

I going in for a wheel alignment soon and I would like to know what settings you are running. In particular what camber, caster and toe at the front and what toe at the rear as I only have the factory adjustment.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

-1.5 camber
1mm overall toe out (0.5mm each side)
whatever stock castor is

That's on a GJ Scorpion at stock height with spun strut tops, once I drop it 4" or so I expect it'll be at ~-3deg camber :P
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
avandull
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandull »

Camber front= -4 Degrees
Camber rear= -1.5 degrees
Caster front= Maximum possible Positive caster, without the wheel hitting the front of the wheel arch.
Front Toe = 2mm toe in

These settings could be considered a little extreme for a road car. So these are the factory settings.

Camber front =0
Camber rear =0
Caster front =5 1/3 degrees Positive
Front Toe= 2mm toe in
Rear Toe= 0
Agatha the ugly Starion
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

do they really have toe IN at the front from factory? From what I understand it should have toe OUT on the front, and perhaps toe IN on the rear, if any. My car was setup by a race car driver who owns a shop and he did extra toe OUT on the front which made it corner like a dream around the track.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

toe in at the front enourages understeer.. so it'd make sense that it'd be toe in from factory. Also, toe in at stand still often results in no toe angle during forward motion.

toe out sacrifices straight line stability for more eager turnability - this would explain why you felt your car handled better with toe out: I assume this was on a twisty track?

toe out can also introduce or increase tramlining.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

Normally rwd cars have toe in and fwd cars have toe out. Cars set up for a track have much different requirements than passenger cars.
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Agree with Avandull's settings, with the exception of the front toe, I have 2mm toe out at the front and about 1mm toe in at the rear.

That's on a Scorpion track car that handles reasonably well.

Spring rates and shock settings play a big part in the package too.
Mick
Enthusiast

Post by Mick »

avandulls setup is freakishly effective... a 1.01 round baskerville is proof of that.
FS: Ford 302ci Windsor. Race prepped block, Clevite bearings, ARP fixings, Hypertectic pistons, nitrided rods, knife edged crank, Gilmer drive, chrome moly rings, Yella Terra stage 3 heads, manly valves, Comp cams 294* solid roller, YT roller rockers, Funnelweb manifold, 2 inch spacer, Proform 830cfm carb, K&N 10" stack, ICE ignition. - 0437900210
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

I should have been more clear, its for a track car but only running street tyres rather than semi slicks. Would i be better off running 0 toe and sacrifice faster turn in for more straight line stability? Particularly for eastern creek as I have never run that course either.

dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I have 2 degrees toe out on the front and I don't think it's sacrificed straight line stability, though having said that I haven't gone over 170km/h in it.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

I think the toe setting would very much depend on driver preference and track -

- do you hate your car being twitchy on the straights? If yes, don't set too much toe out. It's a compromise between twitchiness and better turn in i guess? Your confidence in your knowledge of the car's handling is perhaps more important than the actual setting as well. If you have the optimal setting, but aren't confident with it, you won't be able to capitalise on it.

- remember that any toe while in motion = more rolling resistance, so depending on the track, you'd wanna choose your settings based on whether you need to be faster in the straights or on the turns. Perhaps seek advice from people like wantsom and mrb1, who have frequented eastern creek before?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Will be taking my JB to be checked and set up more for track work now that it is trailered to events.The owner of Fulcrum Suspension Graham Smith will be advising his staff on what the new settings will be.
Happy to pass them on when I have the data :)
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

With 2mm toe-out and a terminal speed of 215ish at Eastern Creek, my Scorpion doesn't feel twitchy at all. I get a little twitchy half way around turn 1, but that's not the car's fault!!
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

Rad if you can get the info that would be great. Which fulcrum suspension is doing your work?

Thanks lummy will keep it in mind.

1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

OLD FART wrote:Will be taking my JB to be checked and set up more for track work now that it is trailered to events.The owner of Fulcrum Suspension Graham Smith will be advising his staff on what the new settings will be.
Happy to pass them on when I have the data :)
Tell Graham I said hello and see him in sydney soon :)
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!