About the switch to MPI

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

My tuner who is a Haltec distributor when asked if I should upgrade to a Platinum 1000 said my E6X could handle everything that my motor needed and to save my money.I guess that another tuner may have not been so straight with me and recomended the newer computer to make a sale.
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

a computer from the 90s such as an ems dual sport will make the same amount of power on the dyno for any given engine configuration as a brand spanking new state of the art computer that costs 5 grand or whatever..

the difference is in the extra features you get and the delivery of that power - e.g. the newer computers will have bells and whistles like fly by wire throttle control, better idle control and will also perhaps give better economy and efficiency due to higher map resolutions etc.

this is why so many people say stay away fro microtech blah blah while so many others say microtech for life blah blah ( LOL ). A car with a microtech computer can still make bucketloads of power, not to mention the cost is much less than say a haltech. It'd just be that the haltech has a magnificent array of features that you'll never use..

it's the same way with desktop computers and laptops.. i've seen people go to harvey norman and pay 7000 dollars for a computer used for nothing more than to check email and write stuff in microsoft word and then print said stuff.

check the feature list and compare the stuff that you WON'T be using to the price tag. If you can get everything you will use in a cheaper computer, then what you get bears more on how deep your pockets are than to how fast you want to go.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

Microwrecks have a bad habit of dropping tunes when not programmed right, and their customer service and after-sale support is atrocious, hence why so many people steer clear.
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Well microleb's are so simple, that's why so many people use them. 99% of the street driven rotors in syd have them. Along with most of the fast vl's etc.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

5 out of the 7 people I know who have bought microtech's new have had problems with them... That is why I won't recommend them..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

What Oldy and Redzone have said. Wise words coming from experience backed up by Thrash detailing it out.

There is a balance between cheap (Microleb), value for money (Haltech/EMS/Autronic) and over the top A grade quality (MOTEC).

Even the latter now recognises the market has shifted and offer a scaled down but top quality ECU in there range. Sure if you were running a top level race car the MOTEC M400/800 with a digital dash is the way to go but overkill for what 90% of the people want and need for street driven cars.

Anyways we digress because someone wanted to correct me on a technicality so back on topic guys.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Motec for lyfe!
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
Damo11
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Damo11 »

Well the ECU info is very handy as I hadn't looked into ECU's much yet and didnt know so much what brands were reputable.
So two birds with one stone is always nice, thanks for your input everyone,
muchly appreciated :D
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

I would like to add, that you should find a tuner that you trust to work on your car and then choose the ecu that they are great at. Unless of course you plan to tune the car yourself.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

There was a guy on here that converted his Starion to MPI using the factory Loom and ECU. Did something about splitting the injector wires, someone might be able to find the thread...
Apparently ran perfectly fine.
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

i think it was a purple starion, think there is some stuff on you tube on it
sohc 82 a182a rally-car,cam, mpi,vf8 turbo,v5 link,ross pistons, gsr injectors, Bosch 909 fp, nearly ready for dyno, if all calculations are right 190rwkw, hopefully :)
sohc 82 a183a rally-car, standard besides balance shafts removed,no airflow meter, lsd, 1080kg
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

1320ft wrote:Well microleb's are so simple, that's why so many people use them. 99% of the street driven rotors in syd have them. Along with most of the fast vl's etc.
These ECUs tend to go hand-in-hand with rotaries.
Cars running these also tend to be thirsty as tuners tend to chuck more fuel at it than necessary, never seem to run optimally nor have quite the power one would expect. You see a cool street car with black on the rear bar and taillight and you think, "Bet that's got a microcrap in it".
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

that may not just be the ecu though. on my last visit to mrc, when he was fiddling around with the tune a bit, he showed me that my car makes more power when really rich - more power at 11.5:1 than at 12.5:1..

even running that rich, my economy hasn't been too bad.. i still get about 12.5L/100kms.. but then again, my car rarely ever sees full throttle or full boost.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Haltech is having a deal with 100 off there ecus for the month of june. Also tweakit.net sell the haltechs about 100 cheaper than the rrp, so if u buy from them, the 100 off from haltech is on top of that, something to consider if u are in the market for one atm.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five