Turbo options

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Will
Mine is bigger than yours

Turbo options

Post by Will »

I'm in the market for a new turbo as my TC06 gives up at 10.5psi. It makes no more boost even with the wastegate disconnected. Doesn't sound like a boost leak as the turbo whine doesn't go ballistic when trying to boost higher. The rear exhaust housing is cracked across the wastegate which is common. Made 93rwkW at 6psi and 110rwkW at 10.5psi, so I don't think its that healthy as I would have expected a bigger increase for the increase in boost.

Anyway, been debating if I should:

1.Try and find another TC-06. Risk another cracked wastegate.

2.Try and source a TD05H-16G. What dollars am I looking at??

3. Adapt a turbo from another car such as a 200SX T28 or WRX. I can get access to Subaru WRX turbos, but I'm not sure if its worth the hassle. I can get the flange made up at work which will open up access to the larger RS Liberty and early WRX turbos. However, I need to mess around with oil and water line plumbing.

Any advice?
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

I wouldnt bother with the WRX one.. its only a TD04 and would not do much better than the one you have.
Is your turbo actually stuffed or is it just in need of some tlc? It might pay u to get it reconditioned and maybe even hiflowed while ur at it... would cost alot less than a new / replacement one. Also check for leak around manifold as this is a fairly common place for loss of boost. Otherwise I would go either a hybrid tc06 or a td05 from a vr4... both of which will bolt straight on. the garret T03 is fairly similar to the TD05 but you will need to get an adapter plate or a custom manifold. It all depends on how much you want to spend i guess.
Will

Post by Will »

I was thinking of the Subaru Turbos only because we have some sitting around at work doing nothing. I agree, they are only TD04's, but I was wondering if the larger VF22(??) turbos would be bolt on replacements to the Subaru TD04's? Gives me an upgrade path + they are newer turbos that spool up quick so would make good low down grunt which is a tradeoff, but better than nothing.

My TC06 would need a new exhaust housing + possibly a new compressor wheel as it looks worn.

What TD05 does the VR4 have? How does it compare to the TC06?

I want to spend as little as possible (but I'll take the opportunity to upgrade if its not too much). I can get adaptors made for very little. I want something that can support around 150kW at the wheels with minimal lag for that power.
Paradoxx
Enthusiast

Post by Paradoxx »

That sort of power can easily be produced with a TD05 (vr4s have the 16G) it all depends on your intake setup and how much fuel and air you can cram in there. If you get MPI and an aftermarket computer you will be looking at about 200kw... so i guess its a bit of a trade-off. If you want more power u need better injection regardless of turbos. I don't know much about the subi turbo setup... my mate has a wrx (he is a nut about wrxs) and i remember laughing at him when i pointed out to him it has a mitsi turbo on it - the td04... he wasnt too happy :D
The TD05 is very similar to the TC06 (which is slightly bigger). You'll find the 05 spools up a bit quicker but can run out of air up top. Mine is running about 21 pounds and doesnt flinch... it just doesnt have the volume of an 06. You can however get a bit more out of them with a dye grinder.
Will

Post by Will »

TD05 (16G) off a VR4 sounds like the way to go. Is it exactly the same turbo as EVO I - EVO III ? Are they on anything else?

I assume they are water cooled, but can run without water cooling? or do I need to plumb that in?

Before I start ringing around, do you know what the going price is for one?

I have MPI + intercooler + aftermarket ECU so should be able to maximise the benefit of the turbo.
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

I hope i'm not mistaken but the vr4 turbo i've got sitting in my garage is a td04 not a tdo5 (definitely not a 16g) off the vr4 (it's aus spec i'm not sure about stock jap models however i think the rs has a td05, rare).

I know the evo 3 had tod5 16g though about 1500 brand new but can be found less than half of that in decent condition should fit the manifold but you'll have to take into account it's for a fwd so the exhaust will most probably need to be rotated and have a wastegate rod remade (not a big worry)

the tdo5 will see you to 200kwatw easy as i've seen many times they can spport 18 psi day in day out comfortably :)
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

i'm pretty sure these turbos don't have a fun time running without water cooling it's simple as to get a new water hose i got a water hose made up for my tc05 for less than 30 bucks at o-pirtek simple fitment as all you need to do is run it like the old one was. oil feed is straight forward aswell.

Hope that helps :)
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Will,
don't get a TD05 off a US 2.6 Starion they are smaller than our TC06. You could get a TD06 compressor housing and big 16G or 20G wheel and make a TD06 out of your TC06.

However the later type TD05H's should be ok.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Paradoxx wrote:The TD05 is very similar to the TC06 (which is slightly bigger)
TC06 is WAY bigger. Just needs a bigger compressor housing and wheel.

TC/TD06 turbine wheel on the left and TC/TD05 turbine wheel on the right.
Will

Post by Will »

I checked the manifold last night just before bolting it on and found a warped face on the manfold where it joins to the engine. It has a 1mm gap under a straight edge at the worst part so I gather this would allow a fair amount of exhaust to leak out. I'll be getting that machined to flatten it and putting the TC06 back on to see what it does.

Looks like my options are to freshen up my TC06 or look for a TD05H of an early EVO. I don't want to me messing with hybrids as it appears the TC06 is sized about right for what I want.
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Will wrote: It has a 1mm gap under a straight edge at the worst part so I gather this would allow a fair amount of exhaust to leak out.
I would say you have found the problem :D However you should be able to hear it leaking?
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Will,
speak to Max Heywood at ATS in Melbourne about a "high flow rebuild" on your TC06.
(03) 93351254.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

so TD-06 = TC-06 exhaust wheel and housing? with a what now compressor side? and what is the difference between BIG16G and a TD05H? i have asked this be4 i think but for some reason i haven’t made any sense from it all yet. :oops:

And where does the canter truck turbs fit in?
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

I am also after a replacement turbo for my dead TC05 12a.

In the other post on turbos, i noticed someone saying that there are stud/bolt dramas with fitting a VR4 turbo on the staz manifold, could this be alleviated with a quick drilling of the threads on the turbo?

Would an EVO turbo have the same dramas (i.e. threaded holes and one blocked hole) as the VR4 one?

Whats a ballpark figure for a reco/hi flow of a TC05 (TC05 arse end, TC06 compressor/wheel)?

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
Darkelf
RiceKing!

Post by Darkelf »

Will, give me or Hoony a call!

I have some info with regard to this that may be of help.