Anyone have a spare ECU around?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Anyone have a spare ECU around?

Post by dirtygalant »

hey guys, anyone have a spare ECU from a JA or a Jap import Starion with Type A injection? If so could you kindly please count the number of pins on each plug? Hopefully one of the plugs has 17 pins (space for 18 but one missing in the middle).

Also, am I right in assuming the JD Starion ECU has a different plug setup, and one of the plugs has 24 pins?

Thanks!
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Krorz
Big Dorifto

Post by Krorz »

I have a few ECUs laying around from 2 liter turbo Galants and Starions. The parts car was manufactured in 1982, the ECU should be identical to a JA one I think.

I'm not sure if this is the Starion or the Galant ECU but they look identical:
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Hi Krorz thanks for that!

The ECU in both my 1980 Eterna GSR and 1981 Galant GT Turbo have the same two connectors as your one however the ECU is massive and is dual boards inside and one connector is on one board and another connector is on another board so the connectors are not inline with each other, instead staggered. The ECU also has an LED light on the side and there is a clear window on the plastic cover over the ECU so you can still see the light flash (am guessing for diagnostics).

I am guessing your 1982 Galant is facelift with the same oval port Type A injection as a JA/JB and early GSR-II/GSR-III and GSR-X Jap import Starions, therefore it should have the same ECU as a Starion.

Type B Starion/Cordia GSR etc has an ECU with the same 17 pin connector (the largest of the two on a Type A) along side a 24 pin connector which is similar to what is found on later type Mitsi ECUs (ie E33A Galant).

I think I may have just found connectors in order to make my DASH ECU work! The JD ECU and 2.6 ECU has the 24 pin connector but only a 13 pin connector for the other one, instead of the 17 pin.
ImageImage
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

ive got a few will have a look today
sohc 82 a182a rally-car,cam, mpi,vf8 turbo,v5 link,ross pistons, gsr injectors, Bosch 909 fp, nearly ready for dyno, if all calculations are right 190rwkw, hopefully :)
sohc 82 a183a rally-car, standard besides balance shafts removed,no airflow meter, lsd, 1080kg
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

also Krorz I think the ECU brackets are different between the A164A Galant/Eternas and the Starions, well at least my early ECUs have a large clip on the back and don't share the same mounting points as the DASH ECU I have.
ImageImage
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

smodgee wrote:ive got a few will have a look today
Cheers buddy if you have a spare wiring loom that you're willing to cut a plug or two off for me that would be great!
ImageImage
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

i have the whole loom with the early big round green plugs if its a help and a few computers here not to sure of the state of them
sohc 82 a182a rally-car,cam, mpi,vf8 turbo,v5 link,ross pistons, gsr injectors, Bosch 909 fp, nearly ready for dyno, if all calculations are right 190rwkw, hopefully :)
sohc 82 a183a rally-car, standard besides balance shafts removed,no airflow meter, lsd, 1080kg
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yeah that would be an early model with Type A injection, if you're willing to chop off the one 18 pin/17 wire plug (the largest of the two plugs going to the ECU, hopefully should be the ones to go into the socket pictured above) with about 10cm of wire spare that would be awesome!
ImageImage
smodgee
I like starions

Post by smodgee »

yea no worries, how much of a rush are you in need of it? i can bring it up tomorrow as heading to whitianga but it will be earlyish not sure what time were leaving yet as mite be coming back same day, just going to pick up some scaffolding
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

PM'd
ImageImage
MainstreaM
I've been here before

Post by MainstreaM »

I've used plugs from a Mazda RX7 to repair ECU connections on an Eclipse (same as your VR4). There were just a couple of companies making electrical bits in the 80's. So what you need may not be Mitsu exclusive. Poke around your local wreckers and see.

Kane
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

hey Kane I've already been around a few of the local wreckers and have had no luck at all, one place had a Cordia GSR Turbo but the wiring loom and ECU were the only things missing from it!
ImageImage