hawk standalone

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
quest
I love starions

hawk standalone

Post by quest »

anybody here run one on their staz ? why not ?
seems like wolf and microtech are your popular choices... better value, features, reputation ?
It was recommended to a few u.s. guys by one of this forum members, and they're having excellent results with the hawk ecu. Any comments ?
What about Link, Stinger....
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

assuming its a decent ecu, it really depends on if you know a really good tuner who knows it well.
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Fuel only ECU may be a small inprovement over std starion ECU, but the ignition is also very imfortant, worth about 40-50% of the overall result. How you may well ask? most decent aftermarket ECU that do Ignition/ fuel will usually have offsets for air temp correction, water temp correction etc, and taken time will ensure that the best power result can be achieved. as an example on my wolf at say 4000RPM 90% load(20psi) i can only run 27Deg total advance but at light load same RPM 45 total advance, but as cold air ( EG in winter) at 4000RPM 90% load it gives it 32 total advance. I think that if you go to the trouble of fitting an Aftermarket ECU the extra few steps to do ignition is more that worth it. yes as stated further down some ok/good results can be achieved, but removing the dissy to remap the curve as apposed to a new value entred as you drive sure is more convient. my two cents worth :beer
Last edited by Starion VR4 on Sun May 30, 2004 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

the hawk has fuel and ignition.
Most u.s. guys learn to tune their own standalones
Lizz on starquestclub 'rough tuned' his hawk. Ran 12.4s using a t3/4 @ 15psi only... lots more left in that street car.

Fuel only mpi will rid you of expensive mitsu injectors and poor distribution. Makes quite a significant difference all across the board, even with the stock staz mechanical ignition curve (which is also tweakable btw). There is a recent post of a 2.6 that ran 12.9 with fuel TBI mods, 17C turbo.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Their are benefits with having a fuel only computer, mosts fuel only ecus have air and water temp compensations, my one does. That said if you are going to install an aftermarket computer you should pay that bit extra and have one that controls ignition too. It all comes down to what you want out of your car if your goal is a mild setup with an intention of just being able to run mpi then a fuel only computer may suit you. On the other hand if you are willing to spend a little bit more, you are better off going a ecu that controls both fuel and ignition, and if you do make sure its worth your while and ditch the dizzy setup.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

ricetheif what about if you have plans to run a cam...would fuel on still be ok
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Quest,
Hawk is a newcomer to the market. Haltech and Motec have been around since 1987-88. Next comes Autronic then Microtec, Wolf, EMS. Not sure when Link (NZ) started.
So Hawk has a lot of competition in Australia! Aftermarket EFI on the street basically started in Australia. It took the US guy's quite a while to catch up.
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

SIRIUS wrote:ricetheif what about if you have plans to run a cam...would fuel on still be ok
To be honest i couldnt tell you, i guess that would be entirely up to you, but i guess it could go either way. But I can say that now I am considering converting to a full fuel and ignition computer. I think in most cases a full computer is the way to go in most cases as the mainly expense over a fuel only computer is the cost of the unit as installation and tuning is about the same in terms of costs.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

might have to do some research me thinks...thanx for ya help
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
mrb1
gtpumps.com.au

Post by mrb1 »

Fuel only computer is a major improvement. You can do what you want. Put MPI on, whatever injectors you want, turbo's, exhaust etc and tune it to suit. Get rid of the restrictive airflow meter.
Ignition as well is great but you still get a huge benefit with fuel only. If you are on a budget see if you can find an old Haltech F3 or F7 they work great.