How much for MPI conversion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Aaah yes Greg but Kath has finished the project i started. I had a crap ECU and I believe she has had it tuned and larger turbo fitted . I am sure it a completely different car now ( read better )
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Yeah I know I was just having a bit of fun LOL . Hoonie has done a great job with the package you started and it pumps some nice power for sure.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
1320ft
almost postwhore

Post by 1320ft »

Going to throw my 2 bob in here.

If you are going to go MPI with a good ECU, why not go a decent set of injectors and E85.

Might I reccomend a Precision turbo. I will be using their (T04Z) on mine. This turbo: http://www.powertune.com.au/5557.html made 300kw at the wheels on the internally std Red Dragon S14 from powertune.
The Forum Parts Guy

www.vibrantperformance.com for all your performance fabrication needs

IRS OUTLAW, 2.3L VR4 Powered X235 Drag Car

Here to run out of your life & take all your money!
hoongirl
Ace Girl Retraction

Post by hoongirl »

Vulpes wrote:Kath has finished the project i started
rofl finished... these things are never finished
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

funny to see in 'land of standalones & magnas', mpi is so freakin expensive

u.s. starquests have sub $600 plug-n-play ecu, shipped with map. Read up on tuning, and tweak yourself... whenever you're ready

Over your way, it seems hardly anyone ever bothers to "push" a SOHC, so DOHC is the answer to everything.... but I can the arguement if MPI is costing you silly money.
On this side of the pond, lotsa 2 valve motors here have taken down the best of 'em
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

on your side of the pond, the 2 valve ones are 30% larger...
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

means nothing, I'm talking in general. Toyotas puny 1.8L 3TC for instance
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

hmm.. the question then needs to be asked.. how long do your motors last between rebuilds?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

quest wrote:means nothing, I'm talking in general. Toyotas puny 1.8L 3TC for instance

bugger the shitty 3TC, get a 1.8L G180Z Isuzu up ya!

that engine was together for 7 years and has stock rods, is apart now chasing more hp.. 26X8.5 slicks..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

bugger the shitty 3TC, get a 1.8L G180Z Isuzu up ya!
3Ts been in the 7s how many years now ?
I've seen 3TCs street cars clean up at the friday night drags from way back in the mid 80s, and drive home.
Typical & fine example here;
http://i43.tinypic.com/hrzh8i.jpg
http://i44.tinypic.com/5lvtqv.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/no82hi.jpg

driven to work every day. 10.2sec @139mph without nitros, hampered by shifting a tired old worn out celica stock 5 speed gearbox (from years of chaffing). US spec ae86 r heavy. Those bumpers alone weigh a ton, plus crash bars in the door.... car probably ~2600 pounds!
I'm sorry guy, 1.8L 2 valve performance gets NO better. period
You can never build cult/legend status around a "shitty" motor.

I could only imagine what they could do with a starion 2.0L SOHC
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah the little isuzu is way behind the puerto ricans and their 3TC's in development, that thing runs a 9.15 with no gas, it's a full weight car, all show quality, has a full interior etc..

what car is a 3TC in thats running 7's? a tube frame starlet on 15 inch wide tyres?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

same body style AE iirc.... been years since I followed up on it

oh, I got a 2.0L sohc going MPI also, plan is;
moded $50 sonata intake + pre-built ~$400 fuel-only megasquirt + 550cc rx7 injectors $50
Can't seeing this total mpi project costing me over $600. DIY tuned

also have the more common truck 2.4L intake option thats alreay rwd, but the throttle body facing over the valve pan cover, like stock staz
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

in all fairness, its *rumoured* that the 7sec 3T ran the crower 2.2L stroker crank and an expensive billet head tho. So technically (like the 7sec G54), that ain't no 3T or "g54" as far as I'm concerned

I prefer sticking to reality..... meaning somethin us mere mortals might be capable of replicating tho.
but that izusu is extremely impressive for full wt. stock rod.
Looks like auto tranny too, and probably ~2000 pounds ?

my 1st TE corolla swap actually replaced my 3TC with a mitsu 2.0L staz motor, against all my comrades wishes/advice . lol
No regrets, as it is the smoothest pulling 4 banger I ever had, and always vowed to see what it would yield, cammed up & mpi. I intend to later source one of the camtechs and wade cams, some austarion posts commended, and run DSM pistons redzone hail as much stronger than sohc slugs.

30psi on a 20g or t3/t4 50trim.... or die tryin :)
(bigger inlectors & fuel/timing Msqt later)
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yeah that gem is about 950kg without driver, not sure what that is in pounds. it runs a gemini engine (G180Z), gemini transmission (aussie trimatic 3sp auto), and a gemini diff (aussie small salisbury, with a spool and 28spl axles).

to top it off, it's his first car, he's had it since 1993...

yeah not many have tried running a sohc 4G63 over 20psi over here, as most want reliability, and as you know, more boost decreases the margin for error..

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

950 kg ~~ 2100ish lbs
quest wrote: