intercoolers...

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

ok, if iv got this right, any loss in boost pressure because of the extra piping and shit would be easily overcome by cranking up the boost to make more power without killing the motor... which is the whole point of putting a 'cooler on in the first place?

and i dont care about a bit of lag... just make it feel faster when it does come on boost...
oz, here i come....
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Thats 3psi on MY intercooler and piping, not applicable on any other car. Gutter_rat is right in the second post, its got alot to do with air speed aswell, and the curves will restrict and slow it down, causing losses in pressure, as the engine pulls that air againtst the restriction, it decompresses it slightly. Its all relitave.
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

so long as the pipes are smooth internally, I don't see bends as being a speed restriction. Like has been said previously, you won't tell the difference in lag. In fact, the reason I believe that I could feel the difference when I changed coolers was due to the bigger cooler allowing the turbo to breathe/spin easier (large cooler mated to a large turbo).
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

let me get this right?

You put on an intercooler so you can pump up the boost afew PSI.. but by putting it on you loose afew PSI to begin with? so the only benefit really in fitting an intercooler is cooler air?

Forgive me if I'm wrong but at the end of the day is it just there for you to say "im running 12psi on my standard engine" or are you doing it for the benefit of cooler air and just making up for the loss in pressure by pumping the PSI up abit?

I'm not trying to start a fight, I'm just trying to see your point. I dont run a turbo car, cant afford it at the moment, but i have picked up afew bits of knowledge having friends with turbo cars.
1983 JA Staz
Abalistic
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Abalistic »

Adding an intercooler and doing nothing else will give you a PSI drop at the engine inlet, thats a fact, but that's also not a bad thing. Most of the PSI drop is due to the intercooler doing it's job. That is, it has dropped the Turbo discharge air temp from around 80'C-90'C to something around 30'C-40'C ( good case ). Lower temp air has more density, ( goes to a lower pressure ) so more can fit into the combustion camber, hence more power.
The good part is, after all that, is U can mod the waste gate and raise the boost back up to were it was, provided the fuel side of things can take it.
JA 4g63Dash To4 Intercooled Wolf 3dv4
Jb Standard
EVO 8

Starions since 1993.
SIRIUS
Enthusiast

Post by SIRIUS »

gutter_rat when i ran my car on the dyno i was making 93kw at 13psi with out a intercooler on a winter day, as soon as i put my cooler on i took it back to the dyno an made 101kw at 9psi...i lost 4 psi buy puttin on my cooler but made a extra 8kw atw on a 30+ day...in my opinion it has made a big difference
Valiant VJ E55 Charger
Valiant VK E57 Wagon
Valiant VF VIP 318 Fireball
Valiant VF-X hemi
Mitsubishi JA Starion

---------- THE MOPAR MAN ----------
dirty sanchez
I love starions

Post by dirty sanchez »

Getting back to the original question - There is no point installing a good intercooler if you are going to use a crap install. Make sure you have large piping with nice open bends (preferably mandrel). A lot of people spend nearly as much getting the intercooler installed as actually buying the intercooler in the first place.

Also - according to the autospeed technical reviews EVO intercoolers flow great, GTR intercoolers flow good and VR4 intercoolers are pretty average.
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

I believe the largest core size to fit between the bumper supports is around the 700mm mark.. Give or take. Find a core approx this size ($200 or so), make tapered end tanks to suit ($150-$200) then get it plumbed in. Just do it and dont ask why :D you will appreciate it after a few drives.

PS I have a sonata manifold, so the plumbing is relatively easy. Just a small tab cut out of the battery plate, turning of the turbo and the relocation of the fluid reservoirs is all thats required.

cheers

tom.
..More than meets the eye..
CussCuss
6pack esky

Post by CussCuss »

ill post a pic of mine when its done, some of it is not the best way to do it, but its 2.5" so 1 sharp corner will be ok. The holes i used were the stock one on the drivers side enlarged, and the aircon one on the passenger side enlarged aswell, this requires removal of aircon and headlight spray thing. Both werent working so its just dead weight anyway.
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

you say you lost 3 psi but gained 9 kw, how much boost can you run with an intercooler and the dodgy eci before you run into fuel problems... i would presume you could at least gain back the 3 psi you lost with the install?
oz, here i come....
NXTIME
Registry Nazi

Post by NXTIME »

Project2501 wrote:I believe the largest core size to fit between the bumper supports is around the 700mm mark.. Give or take. Find a core approx this size ($200 or so), make tapered end tanks to suit ($150-$200) then get it plumbed in. Just do it and dont ask why :D you will appreciate it after a few drives.

PS I have a sonata manifold, so the plumbing is relatively easy. Just a small tab cut out of the battery plate, turning of the turbo and the relocation of the fluid reservoirs is all thats required.

cheers

tom.
The distance between the chassis rails at the front is 680mm, so when choosing a cooler size, make sure that you account for the total width to not exceed 680mm at the point of the chassis rails. My cooler is about 740-750 wide at the end tanks up top but is 650 at the rails so it just fits.

Also, why have a custom one made up when you can get a brand new 600 x 300 x 75 "hybrid" style cooler from modyourcar.com for $419 :)

BTW, Cookie and Darkelf managed to sledgehammer the same sized cooler between the rails on Darkelf's JB.
Please register your vehicle details on the AUSTRALIAN STARION REGISTRY <HERE>

1 x 3.2T
1 x 2.8T
3 x 2.6T's
1 x 2.0T
Cookiemonster
Mother Goose

Post by Cookiemonster »

NXTIME wrote: BTW, Cookie and Darkelf managed to sledgehammer the same sized cooler between the rails on Darkelf's JB.
It certainly stiffened the chassis up. :)
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Ok so to cap things off

Ultimately the larger volume of the inlet tract the greater the pressure drop, but greater the cooling, yielding higher power gains, with adjustment of the boost the lost pressure can be regained yielding higher power gains again. Providing your turbo can give the required pressure efficiently. the good condition internals should be able to take 14psi or 1 bar of pressure reliably.

Cheers
Ben
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

The pressure drop is not due to a large or small volume in the inlet tract, its to do with restrictions in the inlet tract.
Camotec
Track Daddy

Post by Camotec »

Your Right, Sorry...
You can fill a small tyre with 36psi and a big tyre with 36psi its just that it takes longer to fill the big tyre. Christ

GIVE US MORE FLOW!! MORE FLOW FROM A BIG TURBO!!!

Cheers