Do I need oil squirters?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Thrash, love reading your posts, fiction or otherwise. And I mean it. I appreciate someone who uses their brain. Keep up the good work!
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

coop1er wrote:Do you need oil squirters? No, but it is possible that they could save an engine. They are just an extra margin of safety.

Has anyone who has used Eagle or Manley conrods (and probably other brands too) noticed that they don't have the drilling for the oil jet that squirts the cylinder walls, that the factory rods have?
So basically if you use certain brands of forged rods, you can't use the squirters anyway eh? Is this the case for ALL aftermarket forged rods or just some brands?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

enthuzed wrote:Thrash, love reading your posts, fiction or otherwise. And I mean it. I appreciate someone who uses their brain. Keep up the good work!
haha thanks mate :beer
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

So basically if you use certain brands of forged rods, you can't use the squirters anyway eh? Is this the case for ALL aftermarket forged rods or just some brands?
No they are 2 separate methods of lubrication/cooling. The oil jet that I am talking about is a drilling in the conrod from the bigend to part way up the beam.
stariontron
I like starions more

Post by stariontron »

Lunacy wrote:Think he's in Blockhouse bay, name is Jesse. He posts a bit on the oldschool forums and might have been on here a couple of times.
yeah jesse is the guy im currently dealing with. communication has been a bit patchy TBH. i think he's having some trouble with his car at the moment or something similar.

on an unrelated note, is that you selling starion bits on oldschool? youre not parting it out are you!!? :glare:
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

quest.. different motors have completely different designs - perhaps the fords and toyotas you speak of have engine designs that inherently do not need the squirters, and perhaps the mitsu motors do.. in this respect, the statement made by Starion Vr4 that mitsu 4g63t motors are better off with squirters makes sense, and I think it would be unfair to compare this to other motors
2JZGE, CA18DE, 4G63..... (and I can go on), all had squirters in their boosted versions, none in the n.a.
It is not a 'mitsu motor design' thing.

our local ca18 forum moderator been beating his CA18DE for years. sdsefi.com tuned, t28 occasionally set at 21psi, spins tires throughout 3rd gear.

Dr Drift tuned a street (/occasional track duty) CA18DE 'lived' with a chinese T-70 @ 22psi. Added cams to motor and "modified" stock DE pistons to lower compression slightly.
CA18DE has no squirters, neither the hefty crank girdle found in the boosted CA18DET

Similar to how '4G64' here moded his impressive "truck motor" 4G64 powered staz, eh ?

What about all those hairy 2.4 dohc 4G64 buildups in the u.s. ?

Same manufacturers who put those squirters in, deemed a 12A, 14B, T25, etc. @ low boost as "safe" also.... so do we stick with that ? :)
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

low boost is safe for them and their accountability for warranties :)

plus you gotta remember that japanese motors are bound by the gentleman's agreement, so there wasn't much of a need for them to hit high boost.

As I said, i'm no expert on engines.. before I comment any further on the oil squirter issue, can i just ask, their purpose, is it to cool or lubricate? or both?
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

they're piston cooling jets
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au