Running rough at low revs?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
gjgnz
Lil' Dorifto

Running rough at low revs?

Post by gjgnz »

My Jap spec GSRIII seems to be running pretty poorly at low revs. Idle is rough and seems to miss and be down on power up to about 2500rpm. Once it comes on boost it seems to run a lot better. I've checked timing, coil, plugs, leads, replaced fuel filter etc. AFM seems to be working? Its a standard motor on the factory ecu with FMIC, TD05 and Cam.
Any ideas?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

type A or B injection?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
gjgnz
Lil' Dorifto

Post by gjgnz »

Not sure? It's an '83 Jap spec, factory intercooled and has the oval shaped inlet on the intake manifold.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

A.

Look for vacuum leaks. Check pipe that goes to PCV valve.
gjgnz
Lil' Dorifto

Post by gjgnz »

Had a good look for leaks but no luck. The idle is steady (ie not surging), it just misses at idle and idles quite low, then feels really sluggish until it comes on boost. Almost feels like it's running on 3 cylinders at low rpm?
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

I have similar probs with my standard JB (type 2 injection), have replaced fuel filter and injectors, replaced most of the ignition system and these things have all helped but I now suspect the fuel pump.
Have you checked or replaced your pump?
I suspect a tired fuel pump and alternator combine for poor running at and around idle (especially in winter), then the pump recovers once the alternator is spun up and voltage is restored, put a charger onto you battery and see if it needs a top up?

These cars are getting old, just about all original perishable parts are due (or past due as you have found out) for replacement.
jb - white outside maroon inside
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

burnt out exhaust valve? do a comp test..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
gjgnz
Lil' Dorifto

Post by gjgnz »

Did a compression test and found 2 and 3 were down. Turns out the head gasket had gone between cylinders. All sussed now =)