Sparks zapping around on coil

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Do the plugs as well, B7PES Iridium TX by NGK - yum yum
If the plugs are worn or foulded this can increase resistance dramatically.

Check the contacts on the distributor as well, make sure its clean in there, try using a bit of CRC5.56 to clear it up, used to work wonders on our old cars that had a cracked distrib. cap.

Also if your gonna have one hand on the car chassis, and one hand on the coil lead, at least wear thick gloves, without gloves your Mr Conductivity. :D
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
4g6beat
I love starions

Post by 4g6beat »

Problem solved!!
as usual everyone was correct the number one culprit were the leads. Even though they looked fin eat first glance after i took of the rubber plugs i realised 2 leads were scorched inside and only making intermitent contact.

i gave everything a good clean got the gunk off the contacts and everything is beaut. Now it's finally working properly i realise the buggers running extremely rich so now onto the next problem tuning my engine.
ahh you gotta love stazs it's one thing leading to another an intricate web of chronic problems which cause other probs heheh.

Moral of this story: check your leads even if you think they look fine.
How fast do those doorhandles go mate!
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Excellent! :D

I know what you mean about the Starions, I get my rust removed and engine cuts, then fix the engine, and now the headlights wont go! But thats part of the fun I guess.

My little list when anything goes wrong engine wise:

Iridium TX plugs
8mm Performance Leads
Fuel Filter

When I first got my Starion it was having problems, when I pulled my leads out, I found that they were broken, and someone used electrical tape on one to seal it!! :x
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

similar probs

Post by MelbStazz »

after fitting the new radiator to the stazz i started it up and it ran really roughly. I did the electrical check and found that the coil was throwing sparks out. I then went inside and spoke to our parts guy about ordering me a new coil. Ten mins later he comes out and tells me the Mitsubishi has deleted the part and Repco, Bursons, AutoBarn and a few other reputable parts shops have no listing for it. :x not happy jan. i have no idea on where to get the new coil or if it's possible to use one out of another car. Any help would be appreciated...
i have new leads, dizzy cap and rotor button.
:? gotta love the stazz never a dull moment...
- el schmicko detailer -
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

BOSCH and MSD have replacement high performance coils, hopefully somebody can post you a model number or two.
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

Yeah a model no would help heaps :D :D :D :D
:beer
- el schmicko detailer -
Project2501
I like starions more

Post by Project2501 »

Bosch have a motorsport one, something 40, red coil. Apparently suits all cars with oil filled coils?
..More than meets the eye..
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

wow, didnt know coils had oil in them

Anyway I remember looking at my coil and seeing 'BOSCH' written on it, its just a black one, but when the sun comes up, Ill have a look and see if it is definately BOSCH, and hook you up with a model number.

Once you have that, they should be able to look up performance replacements, or just order you the coil.
MelbStazz
Enthusiast king

Post by MelbStazz »

the bosch red coil is the GT40 and i had a look at the coil and it had the brand diamond? hmmm, might be orig not sure, then again i had a look at the bosch catalogue and their listed replacement has the diamond brand on it. Though it's in the current catalogue in plain site they can't order it as it's deleted. :x Maybe i will try the GT40 coil with new leads, cap and clean the rotor button. Hopefully that will fix the prob so i can bring it home and finish the roadie and get it bak on the road :D
C how i go,
:beer
- el schmicko detailer -