4g64 crank in 4g63

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
ngats
[L] Plates

4g64 crank in 4g63

Post by ngats »

Hi, just wondering if anyone has done this with the matching 2.3ltr rods and pistons?? by the looks at the manual it all seems good exept there is a difference of 6mm in block hight between the 64 and 63?? does the 63 fly wheel and timing gears fit the 64 crank, and does the 6mm higher 64 make any difference to the stroke?? ( in other words if the 64crank fits the 63block and all, will the con rods be 6mm to long for the 63 motor??) cheers Nick [/b]
82JA Starion,17in ROH 3 piece Rims Multipoint,MicrotechLTX8,AR .50 Garrett..3in Stanless exhaust 2.5in Intercooler 700cc injectors Wet Nitros Injected..LOVE IT :-)
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Hi Nick just back from 10 days driveing around Tassie and loved the lack of traffic and met Allan aka avandul on the forum in Hobart
I have a stroker crank from a 4G64 6bolt in a 63 6 bolt block in my car so you can fit the crank straight in But you may have to bend the squirters to clear the counterweights OR machine a little off the cw's
The rods are the same length in the 63 & 64 motors BUT you will need stroker pistons that have the pin 6mm closer to the crown so they come level with the top of the block at TDC . The FW is a straight swap
Hope this helps
PS if this is a street car I would reccomend keeping the balance shafts to eliminate the vibrations BUT reccomend that you clearence the oil feed outlets for better lubrication
PPS THERE ARE LONG AND SHORT NOSE CRANKS SO IF YOU GET THE SAME TYPE THE GEAR ON THE FRONT OF THE 63 CRANK FITS
PPPS The 7 bolt crank WILL NOT fit a 6 bolt motor
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
ngats
[L] Plates

Post by ngats »

Hi yes thank you your info is of much help :) Yeah my current motor has no balance shafts in it.. This info im after is for my next rebuild that is getting closer with my DOHC head all finished with porting and OS stainless valves new guides and Lash adjusters im in need of a new bottom end.. When i did my balance shafts i heard of a few fellows that had trouble with the oil pump as they just simply cut the shafts off and spun the bearing to block the oil port, so what i did was machine the counter weight off the oil pump shaft and simply disconnect the counter shaft.. Had no prob with it at all and the motor with the SOHC produces some impressive HP at 25psi.. But as you say its not as smooth even with balanced everything.
Will be looking for a long nose crank for the DOHC.. Do Gears fit the same??
Glad to hear you came and enjoyed Tasmania.. Did you drive the starion over??
82JA Starion,17in ROH 3 piece Rims Multipoint,MicrotechLTX8,AR .50 Garrett..3in Stanless exhaust 2.5in Intercooler 700cc injectors Wet Nitros Injected..LOVE IT :-)
ngats
[L] Plates

Post by ngats »

Sorry Oldfart missed the bit where you said the gears fit..lol :oops:
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

We hired a Kluger but would have loved to drive the Staz on some of the Targa roads we traveled on
Seeing you are going TC then you will need the ally front cover,oil pump and the pulleys/idler wheels that go with it
My oil pump BS is the same as you have done it
There is some sizzle in my fully balanced stroker at certain revs but you get used to it .You are going to love the strokers torque :D :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
ngats
[L] Plates

Post by ngats »

Yeah hopefully will spool the garrett abit quicker :D got all the pump, gears covers ext,, bought a full 89 Galant 4g63 narrow ages ago.. yeah some of the roads are awesome for turbo charged cars..And even better in a 22 wheeler :) still warm up your way?? Snow and Black ice here soon :?
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

the SOHC produces some impressive HP at 25psi..
using a .50 garret ? Any dyno, build thread, specs, etc ?
ngats
[L] Plates

Post by ngats »

Hi, Yeah the AR .50 garrett with TO4 floating bearing housing and .86( I think exhaust housing).. Is rated on compliance plate at 120 CIF which is perfect for a 2ltr.. The Motor only has forged pistons stock SOHC balance shaft counter weights removed.. 68mm thrittle body 600 X 350 X 100mm intercooler.. The car is still only road tuned in Normal Mode on the LTX8..Havnt ever Dynod it as the people i have contacted about it seem to want to much to tune.. I have just settled for LAP Top tuneing on road up hills down hills..and it has came up good.. Also have a 4 fogger NOS kit installed for when i do dyno.. havnt tryed it yet too scared, sort of waiting for my next motor to be finished before i do just in case..
As for HP i could work it out for you as i have timed it down a length of road but sorry, not to fussed about it..lets just say it seems to give these STI's a run for there money on 235 tires and a HD clutch slippin abit at top end..
Really waiting to finish this next motor before i go spending money on tuning..
Next motor should be the go.. Forged pistons and rods, ARP head studs, Cometic Head gasket, DOHC is ported and polished with stainless valves, 4 X Coil over ignition. Exedy 4 Puk ceramic brass button clutch..using same turbo same trottle body same injectors same intercooler all this will hopefully hold the NOS togetter.. cant up load pics as they are 2.5MB each and this site doesnt support.. Thankns for your interest sorry i could not give you the Hp cheers Nick
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
ngats
[L] Plates

Post by ngats »

Yeah very interesting read thanks for that.. The pics on the second archive are very usefull.. Thanks again :) rofl