Apexi Super AFC for starion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
perrinsohc
Mine is bigger than yours

Apexi Super AFC for starion

Post by perrinsohc »

I have search this forum quite a bit for any informaion if these units will work with a starion. Wasnt too successful. I am wondering if anyone knows if these will work on a starion ecu.

I read somewhere that the tacho rpm output on a starion ecu needs a digital converter on it. Not sure if this is relivant or not but thought i'd add it in there. I have an 1987 ecu which i think doesnt have boost cut and all those kinds of limitation. So my car shouldn't cut out fuel at a certian duty cycle etc.

Half the reason for wanting one is the look of the unit if im honest.

this is a link of the style of unit im looking at
http://www.nengun.com/apexi/s-afc-ii
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

I would say this can probably be done, but haven't had any experience myself. It may end up costing more than going a full aftermarket computer though.
You can get aftermarket fully programmable computers secondhand for about $300 and up, depending what you want.
I got a Microtech MT8 for $300 and it's running my DASH motor now, and got a slightly older EMS for $400 which has full fuel and ignition map etc.

But if you're particularly after that one (I like you're honesty about looks, I can understand that), I'd recommend talking to a tune shop that is familiar with tuning the Apexi's and they should be able to give you a pretty good idea.
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Those prices were on eBay Australia in case anyone is wondering.
TradeMe might have similar, unless we're more cheapskate over here!
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

It can be done, the guys on starquest are a big fan of interceptors so there is alot of info there on getting it working. Using this however you will still be stuck with the mechanical advance/retard ignition with no control over that.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Using this however you will still be stuck with the mechanical advance/retard ignition with no control over that
and that may not be such a bad palce to be "stuck".
Properly functioning mech timing has taken some street starquest as far as low 11s
TBI, MPI, blowthru carb, with or without spray
not bad for an ol' 2 valve 4cyl powered heavy pig

DSMs generally live by the SAFC
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

quest wrote:
Using this however you will still be stuck with the mechanical advance/retard ignition with no control over that
and that may not be such a bad palce to be "stuck".
Properly functioning mech timing has taken some street starquest as far as low 11s
TBI, MPI, blowthru carb, with or without spray
not bad for an ol' 2 valve 4cyl powered heavy pig

DSMs generally live by the SAFC
Depends on how you measure performance, as you say even a carby setup will get you into the 11's. Full ign control will give you the abilty to give the engine as much timing as it needs and ultimately you will have a car with better throttle response and off boost response, also your transients will be better too.

Ultimately though on this side of the world with how cheap full engine management is, its better to go full ecu over an interceptor.

quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Depends on how you measure performance
with TBI + any of the bolt-on mitsu turbo upgrades, u wind up with near instant response, get pushed in the seat or break traction. Decent mileage improvement bonus, as 'fat' oe fuel curves are cleaned up(via SAFC). Quarter mile ETs tell the rest of the story
Full ign control will give you the abilty to give the engine as much timing as it needs
a slight twist of the dizzy does a good job of that too
and ultimately you will have a car with better throttle response and off boost response, also your transients will be better too
how much better is the question...... just like the ETs, very little difference, eh.
"Off boost response"? ....from a 7:1 compression 2 valve 2L 2800 pound car ? No such thing :)
Ultimately though on this side of the world with how cheap full engine management is, its better to go full ecu over an interceptor
"Have an ecu installed & get it mapped" is fine, but there is a whole world in between, ideal for the "do-it-yourselfer", who doesn't want to rewire, no down time, minimum cash outlay, ez learning curve, etc.... unlike full engine management
Rewards one with a pretty strong running, entertaining ride in the process
Not a bad result to be "stuck" with
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

quest wrote:with TBI + any of the bolt-on mitsu turbo upgrades, u wind up with near instant response, get pushed in the seat or break traction. Decent mileage improvement bonus, as 'fat' oe fuel curves are cleaned up(via SAFC). Quarter mile ETs tell the rest of the story

Im more refering to when you are hitting the apex being able to balance your traction with your throttle. By no means are the results by those on sqc not good using a safc but there is still a compromise.
quest wrote:a slight twist of the dizzy does a good job of that too
To move your whole ign curve, being able to adjust the timing of different areas independantly will yield great gains with your throttle response.
quest wrote:how much better is the question...... just like the ETs, very little difference, eh.
"Off boost response"? ....from a 7:1 compression 2 valve 2L 2800 pound car ? No such thing :)
The difference is there, particularly when you are on the limit.
quest wrote:"Have an ecu installed & get it mapped" is fine, but there is a whole world in between, ideal for the "do-it-yourselfer", who doesn't want to rewire, no down time, minimum cash outlay, ez learning curve, etc.... unlike full engine management
Rewards one with a pretty strong running, entertaining ride in the process
Not a bad result to be "stuck" with
Ultimately it comes down to the price of the ecu, what you guys pay for an ecu is more than what we would pay to get an ecu and all the parts for mpi. On the other hand what you guys pay for parts like turbos and pistons etc it works out cheaper to buy from the states, pay for airmail and then customs duty than it is to buy from here. There is no need to diy when buying one off the shelf whether new or secondhand cost about the same in the long run.

quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

Ultimately it comes down to the price of the ecu, what you guys pay for an ecu is more than what we would pay to get an ecu and all the parts for mpi.
that too is another inaccurate assessment
we start from as low as $200 build-it-yourself ecus. Quite a few gone this route for 2.6 mpi
Quick & dirty method is to modify the stock inlet.... ie. add injector bosses/adapt a rail, and a bigger throttle body. One of the quickest street 2.6 clubmembers ever to post, ran one also.

back to the SAFC... its very hard to beat for what it is (and can do in capable hands)
In fact, I can't think of a single tuning device, that has come anywhere close in popularity
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Nothing ever changes around here.. :?

Hey Perrin

A friend of mine is running the early style of apexi SAFC on his 1992 VR4 V6. Though a newer beast it still has the same old karmen vortex air intake with the same square wave output. From what I recall it was only a matter of redirecting the signal output from the air flow meter into the SAFC and feeding the SAFC output to the ecu.

As far as the rpm signal goes, I don't think the coil will have a solid square wave so you would have to look into that... I don't know how aftermarket Tacho's deal with it. Transistor and a filter?

This is the unit he has here: http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motor ... 439394.htm

That and a wideband o2 meter would be the go. I could possibly hook you up through work.. Go on.. :D
Watch your speed - It's virtually impossible to pick it out of the carpet if it gets blown off the table.
RiceThief

Post by RiceThief »

quest wrote:that too is another inaccurate assessment
we start from as low as $200 build-it-yourself ecus. Quite a few gone this route for 2.6 mpi
Quick & dirty method is to modify the stock inlet.... ie. add injector bosses/adapt a rail, and a bigger throttle body. One of the quickest street 2.6 clubmembers ever to post, ran one also.

back to the SAFC... its very hard to beat for what it is (and can do in capable hands)
In fact, I can't think of a single tuning device, that has come anywhere close in popularity
Three people on this forum have sold their complete mpi setup for $700 aud or less, that included a full ecu, manifold, injectors, larger tb and coils. Where as on sqc is selling a haltec f10 for $500 usd. Even if you used a diy ecu you would be hard pressed to keep it under $700 aud and only if you did all the work yourself. But i think this has gone off tangent enough, you have put forth the benefits of the safc and I with going with a full ecu. The op can decide which way to go with the info posted.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

quest wrote: In fact, I can't think of a single tuning device, that has come anywhere close in popularity
If popularity was an argument, then paris hilton would always be right :P
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

maybe I should say, "as widely used" as the SAFC, then..... but Paris still comes to mind, eh ?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

rofl
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol