Removing ignition barrel

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Removing ignition barrel

Post by Lunacy »

Well ive decided that im gonna run a starter button and isolation switch instead of keyed ignition barrel now, but have no idea how to remove the barrel off the steering column.
I can see two threaded bolts holding it on but the bolts are rounded off so not sure how to remove them.
Any ideas?
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Its a security measure. The screws are designed to shear off when they get up to torque so miscreants can't take the car for a ride.
Are you ditching the steering lock and/or indicators too?
Steering lock obviously needs a key, and the indicator stalk is attached to the ignition barrel housing (I think)

Try cutting a slot in the sheared bolt end with a hacksaw and then screw driver it out. Got a welder?
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
deejaylg
[P] Plater austaz

Post by deejaylg »

Why are you want to remove the barrel? You can just unplug the connector of the ign.switch, connect start button and a switch, and leave the barrel at its position.
Or you have to drill off the head of the bolts.
These bolts are "unremoveable" because if you remove them you can remove the wheel lock.
'86 Mistubishi Starion 2.0T
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

I just drilled one out, PITA job and you need to be careful about damaging the dash. You can only get to the bottom bolt when the column is in the car. You could always take out the column and get easier access to the bolts.

Perhaps try and drill a small hole in the top of the bolt and use an ezy out. Shouldn't be that hard (wish I thought of it last weekend) :x

Top bolt, I wiggled the assembly around and it had enough play in it to get it all off. Also, you will have no steering lock once it's gone.....do you really want to do that?

I would look towards doing what was said above, disconnect the start wire and move it to a button. That way, you still use keys, keep steering lock and have the button.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Thanks for the replies guys. As the car is a track/racecar im not worried about steering lock at all.
Guess il give the ezyout a go tomorrow.
The car is totally stripped at the moment other than the steering column anyway so no danger of damaging anything :)
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

I normally use a chisel and hammer to undo the bolts. Once they start moving its easy.
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

a pin punch and a hammer tap it around they should come off easy!
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
crshbndct
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by crshbndct »

just drill a hole up the middle, then stick a hex spanner that fits snugly inside the hole and put drill in reverse, works in noi time
3 Most Important Sayings of Motor Car Racing:
1)"To Finish First, First You Must Finish" - Jackie Stewart
2)"For Speed, Add Lightness" - Colin Chapman
3)"Hondas Are Gay" - Valentino Rossi
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

I removed mine the same way Mr Bender suggested. Totally agree with Alspos - pita job.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.