New suspension needed badly

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Rola
Big Dorifto

New suspension needed badly

Post by Rola »

Hey guys, my suspension is at a point now where i think it is dangerous to drive the car around, the back suspension shudders over bumps and sometimes throws the car into a different direction.

Ive been reading on these forums and starquest forums about what i can do to get some decent sports suspension on a starion narrow body and have come to the conclusion that i want the Koni shock King spring modification.

The problem is however that i dont have the tools or the workshop or the technical knowledge to do the modification myself so i am going to have to take it into my mechanic and have him do it :(.

What i need to know from you guys is what has to be done to the starion struts to fit the MR2 internals so that i can basically give my mechanic an a general guide on how to get the modification done.

What exact parts are needed (koni mr2 sw20 rear struts x4 + king springs or can u use the front shocks also?)

And what cost you think would be appropriate for this work to be done (in terms of labor but if your feeling generous prices of actual struts and springs too).

Thanks for your help in advance i really appreciate it.

Rola
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Take the struts to Koni (Top Performance in Vermont) and have them do it.

Do a search here for some ballpark prices...or just ring them and ask. Springs are available, lowered or standard, search Ebay, here, King Springs website etc.
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

I've just done my springs and I wouldn't say it's the best thing I've done. Sure, the handling is better, but the ride is not!

My advice is to get the shocks replaced with inserts from US ebay (83-86) KYB inserts and the rears from 101Propose...
also US ebay. However, the rears are sold as Widebody rear struts! About $300 for each pair with US Post delivery!!!
Leave the springs alone unless they are on the way out ie., sagging! Plus you will save your front chin spoiler!

To upgrade the suspension, replace the sway bars with 24mm front and 22mm rear! Handling is awsome for street! I believe these are also available on ebay or check out Selby suspension!

Compare that to the cost of MR2 cut and shuts, and I think you will saving some dough! If you are going Coilovers, then MR2 is the way to go!!
My 2 cents worth!

:beer
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

Ebay links to the above....

SWAY BARS....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Stari ... 33594ea5bc ...
and your King Springs are available from this store!

FRONT SHOCK INSERTS...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... MEWAX%3AIT

REAR SHOCKS....

Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
Rola
Big Dorifto

Post by Rola »

JDSTAZ45 wrote:Ebay links to the above....

SWAY BARS....
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Stari ... 33594ea5bc ...
and your King Springs are available from this store!

FRONT SHOCK INSERTS...

REAR SHOCKS....

You are the man JDSTAZ45!! cheers!
JA83
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by JA83 »

so becasue your car bumps, shakes , and changes direction sometimes you suddenly think u need new shocks and sway bars??? ffs get the thing on a hoist and use a pry bar to check the rear control arm bushes fro wear. the outer bushes on mine were worn along with the pins, and when you jabbed the throttle it would twich the wheel sideways, causing the car to dart sideways. this is critical stuff mate dont stuff around.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

excellent advice from JA83 ^
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
bigmoz
Enthusiast king

Post by bigmoz »

i spoke to top performance it costs about $1700 +-$100 if you deliver the f+r struts to them they will customize them with new koni's and if you supply the king springs they will fit them to

moz
85 JB, forged, larger valves, ported and polished microtech, sonata mpi, td06 20g, intercooler, willwood brakes, koni suspention, 3.9LSD and more shit i cant remember

82 JA, blueprint SIRUS 4g63, dumped and a cooler 17's, exhaust... DEAD :(
big moz (chopyou@hotmail.com)
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Mal, do those rear wide body shocks fit my narrow staz ???
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Mal will these fit my staz, I assume yes :

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MK1-MAST ... 563950e694
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Rear Shocks are the same between narrow and widebodies. Also you can still get bushes in Australia.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

Excellent, any idea where I can get all the suspension bushes from ? I want to go right through every moving part. Should I do control arms whilst I am at it and ball joints ?
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Take from another post
TOMSUN wrote:http://www.noltecsuspension.com/

Mitsubishi - STARION JA,JB,JD 82-87

Application F/R #Bush/Kit Noltec Part No. Kits Per Vehicle Notes RRP$
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Control arm - inner F 2 N51593 1 Straight/Incl. crush tubes $52.26
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Radius rod F 2 N81191 1 Incl. crush tubes $50.12
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Steering bell crank F 2 N11594 1 $17.90
Strut - top mount (Solid-clubsport) F 2 N44044S 1 Camber/caster adjustable $487.04
Strut - top mount (Urethane- street) F 2 N44044 1 Camber/caster adjustable $511.30
Sway bar - link F 4 N21200 1 3 door model $25.05
Sway bar - mount 19mm F 2 N22167 1 19mm - measure bar size $0.00
Sway bar - mount 21mm F 2 N22162 1 21mm - measure bar size $24.65
Sway bar - mount 25mm F 2 N22163 1 25mm - measure bar size $23.06
Control arm - inner front R 2 N51595 1 Incl. crush tubes $68.73
Control arm - inner rear R 2 N51596 1 Incl. crush tubes $68.73
Control arm - outer R 4 N51598 1 Incl crush tubes $93.07
Sway bar - mount 18mm R 2 N22164 1 18mm - measure bar size $20.59
Sway bar - mount 21mm R 2 N22165 1 21mm - measure bar size $20.05
Prices are per kit, GST added to the price

And I'm sure 2JA's will smash those prices for his Starion buddies :D
You can get them from pedders still, noltec were bought out by red ranger who were bought out by pedders.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

pretty sure 2ja's no longer works for pedders sorry.
If he does then has shifted from bendigo.
Must have been close to 12 months ago I went in there and nobody knew shit!
They were even too lazy to chase up prices for MR2 struts and call me back, TWICE, as a result pedders can get stuffed!
Plenty of other places to buy suspension from that actually want customers.
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!