DASH head questions, and VRS set any ideas where to get?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
MitsuMadness
I love starions

DASH head questions, and VRS set any ideas where to get?

Post by MitsuMadness »

Hi all!

- Brief intro:
So, now I have my GSR-V running again, when I had the engine management tuned, the guy found that the secondary sets of valves on my DASH head weren't actuating properly, and he fixed em. Unfortunately now that they're going again it seems the valve guide seals are stuffed, and my car has suddenly become a quite smoker whenever it sits at lights etc. Also, the secondary valves are quite tappety and noisy when they come in, so want to check that out too.

- My plan:
SO, I plan on taking the head off and doing the valve guide seals. I plan on taking the head off so I can check anything else out while I'm at it, rather than do the seals in place with the head on.

- My questions:

Q1. Anyone know where to get a VRS (Valve Regrind Set - all seals needed when taking the head off etc) for the DASH motor, or what parts I can buy to build up a kit myself... obviously my main need is the valve stem seals, and a head gasket.

Q2. Any special tricks with the DASH heads and the secondary valves? I wouldn't mind checking out these because they're noisy at the moment. Anyone have any experience with this, or more advice they can offer? All I know about them is that they're an electrical switch that switches a hydraulic actuator system to drive them, and currently my ECU switches them in at 1500 revs.

(side note - With the secondary valves, I tried having them running all the time, but in my case they seem to work better switched and my microtech tuner (maztech in melb) suggested they'd be better switched. I'm not fussed either way, but my map is now set up for them to be switched. But that's not my issue at the moment, so won't get sidetracked on that)

Any help appreciated! Or rebuilt DASH heads on offer considered! (mine's probly fine if I give it some love)
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Oh and forgot another thing... obviously if I can't get a DASH VRS kit then I'll also have to find an inlet manifold gasked for it, any ideas on that anyone?

I've spoken with GARRMAX (www.garrmax.com.au) one of the large suppliers of all that stuff and they have no listing even for the DASH engine or anything 12 valve 4G63 of course.

1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Pm wantsom, he should be able to help or at least point you in the right direction. As for headgasket it should be the same as any other earlier 4g63. Inlet manifold gasket, you will have to buy some gasket paper and make your own gasket.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

I bought a full VRS kit only last week from Redzone. Has all the parts you're looking for.

panda
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

Wouldnt it be short the additonal 4 stem seals that the dash engine has over the stock sohc head?
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
kiwieurospec
Enthusiast

Post by kiwieurospec »

We used to be able to get the head sets, not sure its still possible but will check monday.

The little valve stems seals are easy enough if you can find a place selling them not in complete sets, I think I used Honda City ones but it was a fair while ago now. I think there is another Mitsi with the same inlet manifold pattern but I have no idea what it was, which is no help but maybe someone else knows.
1985 Widebody Factory Four Wheel Steering
1986 Euro Spec-ABS,LSD etc
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

panda wrote:I bought a full VRS kit only last week from Redzone. Has all the parts you're looking for.

panda
for an 8 valve though! but thanks for the plug :)

unzud would be most likely option for a proper set, or use a 8 valve set and make an intake gasket, and match up the secondary valve seals at a head shop...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Thanks guys for the pointers!
Yeh I've decided to do the stem seals without taking the head off, so will only need the stem seals now. I've bought two sets of stem seals for the 8 valve heads, and will measure up the secondary valves, and yeh if they're not the same, will go and find something that will match.
I believe the tappet noise can possibly be adjusted out at the top too? So will give that a shot too.
Probly doing it all this coming weekend while the car is already out of action cos I'm replacing the clutch, and the flywheel is off being machined.

So most relevant info now would be if anyone knows if the size of the inlet valve seals and what to use. Otherwise that's what I'll be measuring up, and yeh, perhaps I'll look and the Honda City or similar as a start :)

MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Oh and what's unzud redzone? Google search didn't help me, or a forum search.

Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

MitsuMadness wrote:Oh and what's unzud redzone? Google search didn't help me, or a forum search.
rofl Gold absoloute gold rofl

Kiwi speak for NZ mate, You're a bad man redzone :D
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

oh dear LOL sorry man thats gold!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

Haha that's awesome :) yeh that was my only remaining guess :D