W58 supra gearbox conversion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

I think the w58 has good ratios as 2nd 3rd and 4th are fairly close. But you would have to have the right diff ratio. So you could spend most of your time in these gears and not have to go down to 1st.
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
XJ Jeep Cherokee (5" lift, muddies, lockers etc)
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Or run a 3.54 diff and have a top speed of, ummm, lots.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

MrBishi wrote:
thrash wrote:mind you, according to dellow, you cannot tell the W5* boxes apart from each other by looking at them..
Not strictly true. The W58 has a steel sandwich plate between the case and extension housing. Others have alloy (which can't be told apart).
The pick of the bunch would be the 2nd gen W58 found behind N/A 2JZs. Newer and apparently 'better'.
hmm, i was under the impression that the 2jz-ge supras had the R154 5-speed box and not the w58 which was "older"?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

TomVR4 wrote:I think the w58 has good ratios as 2nd 3rd and 4th are fairly close. But you would have to have the right diff ratio. So you could spend most of your time in these gears and not have to go down to 1st.
ok, the gear ratios in my car ar actually quite nice, considering the car can happily pull uphill from about 2100 rpm, even though it hasn't quite built useful boost yet.. the only problem i'm facing at the moment is that there is a ton of vibration between about 1900 and 2200 rpm, and it's annoying, so I avoid these rpm as much as possible, and that involves sometimes slowing completely down and going into 1st gear :( Smoothin out the exhaust helped reduce the vibration, but not by much.. so when I have some more funds, I will look into it..
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol