Fuel tank innards

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Fuel tank innards

Post by Alspos »

Howdy,

Just pulled my fuel tank and figured i may as well take a few pics.

Tank onthe groud with a quick lick of paint...much nicer than dust colour (even though noone will ever see it)

The hole where the tank was

Where the fuel pickup sits inside the tank. Very nice anti surge setup. this is why, in most applications, you still get a nice fuel flow.

Things to note, don't drop the tank until you release the wiring that runs to the fuel sender. Just unplugging it from the sender itself is not enough. Lower the tank slowly and unhook it.

Make sure you undo the vapour line that is above the fuel line fitting (between the fuel pump and hard line)

Also, undo the fuel filler door and the remote release cable before you drop the tank out.

Does the tank need anything put back in to seal it in any way shape or form? I have heard of people putting tank sealers in and rolling the tank around, but it tends to be with 1957 year tanks etc. Thoughts?
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

When I did my tank I used a POR tank sealing kit. It had a heavy duty degreaser which will get rid of all that crap you can see in there, a weak acid to get rid of any corrosion and then a sealer which seals the inside of the tank. Reviews online are good and it did the trick with my tank which looked worse than yours. Mine had been sitting with a small amount of gas in it for about 14 years so definitely needed a clean out!