Starion clutch problem.

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
leoca
I've been here before

Starion clutch problem.

Post by leoca »

I am currently doing a conversion for my lancer .I have bought a 2.6 from a jdm starion from Steve Ralliart and now the engine is running I have found I have no clutch and cannot get it into a gear.
It looks like the yoke that pushes the throwout bearing to the front of the car is jammed.?
The slave seems fine ...it is off I tested it
You cannot push the rod to the rear (by using your leg!)>jammed?

I was wondering if I have to pull the box off to fix it or whether I can get in to fix it through that hole with the rubber seal.

Any advice appreciated :wink:
Starion-an 80's Classic car
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

How much travel do you have and whats the length of the pushrod?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

What gearbox?
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

enthuzed wrote:How much travel do you have and whats the length of the pushrod?
You have about 2 inch protruding, you can't push it back at all...but it will move forward some.

Its a KM132 gearbox...the one that comes stock with the widebodys
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

ImageImage[/img]
BLOFLY
I like starions

Post by BLOFLY »

I know on mine(4g63) I have carefully removed the rubber boot and used a torch to have a quick inspection. The throwout arm that comes through that boot runs on a small ball pivot, can come off, or the arm could be broken, bent? worth a 5min check
SOHC, Multipoint, Steampipe Exhaust Manifold, Intercooled.
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

It may be the mis-matched master cylinder having too much capacity causing the slave to over-extend and cause problems. Pull the rubber boot off and take a look.
4G63 - 87kg
4G54 - 107kg
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

I removed the rubber seal and apart from a fair bit of fibrous material in clumps in there there wasn't a lot to see.
The throwout bearing looks to be hardup against the pressure plate I don't know.
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

ImageImage[/img]
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

leoca wrote:I removed the rubber seal and apart from a fair bit of fibrous material in clumps in there there wasn't a lot to see.
The throwout bearing looks to be hardup against the pressure plate I don't know.
Based on both this comment and the photo, you'll be up for a new clutch soon. Looks like your rear main seal is leaking and if you have fibrous material then your clutch might be starting to delaminate.
Mine was like this and then when I got the clutch nice and hot the clutch material totally went to shit with stuff everywhere.
If you take the box out (gotta fix the oil leak) then you might find your answer to your problem too...
How?
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

enthuzed wrote:
leoca wrote:I removed the rubber seal and apart from a fair bit of fibrous material in clumps in there there wasn't a lot to see.
Based on both this comment and the photo, you'll be up for a new clutch soon. Looks like your rear main seal is leaking and if you have fibrous material then your clutch might be starting to delaminate.
Mine was like this and then when I got the clutch nice and hot the clutch material totally went to shit with stuff everywhere.
If you take the box out (gotta fix the oil leak) then you might find your answer to your problem too...
you were spot on the throwout bearing was super sticky on the input shaft and the cluch was disintergrating and worn out.
The flywheel weighs 9.7KG...do you think it is lightened?(widebody 2.6 motor).

[img][img]http://img10.imageshack.us/img10/3073/img2886h.jpg[/img][/img]
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

leoca wrote:
enthuzed wrote:
you were spot on the throwout bearing was super sticky on the input shaft and the cluch was disintergrating and worn out.
Thanks Leoca. It's good when others can benefit from your experience. It pissed me off at the time and I drove 3 hours back to Melbourne without a clutch when mine went.
leoca wrote: The flywheel weighs 9.7KG...do you think it is lightened?(widebody 2.6 motor).
Nope. The 2.0 ones are approx 8.5kgs.
How?
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

heavy stock 2.6 flywheel weigh close to 16kg, believe it or not.
'lightened' to ~9.7kg is a very common mod in the US
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Wow, that's bullshit heavy!
How?
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »