benny's staz went pop

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
benny
I love starions

benny's staz went pop

Post by benny »

well the old girl has packed it in. a hose connecton had rusted through and just fell off meaning it lost all water and the temp guage did the "really hot - i better keep an eye on this - back to normal temp - ok that was wierd" bit.

needless to say once i got home i had the choice to make, try to gently cool but risk the head or shut down and risk seizing. now runs uber rough on about 2 1/2 to 3 cylinders, blue smoke, wasn't happy with me driving it to its current position ( so avoid the wrath of the real estate )

options
a. benny just do this and it'll be fine "insert piece of magical starion know how here"

or

b.
1. replace just the head and intake ( as the piece that rusted is now one with the head )
2. replace whole engine as bottom end will be stuffed to.
if so what options are viable
..carbie fed atmo 4 that'll bolt straight in just so i can drive to and from work while i save to stick something else in
... a friend has vg30det with auto box for $1200 whats needed to make it fit.
.... i know of an xxxx engine +box combo for xxxx that'll need abcd to make it fit

what would you do ?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

if you can afford to spend 1200 on a vg30, then there is a certain forged staz motor for sale for 1500 not too far from you... much easier and cheaper proposition... plus a forged bottom end will mean that if you 'ever' do finish the mpi, you can see decent power out of it as well as decent reliability ;)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

oh and.. welcome back to the forums btw
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

yeah been mia with work.. and the mpi bits got sold LOL
hmm off to search for said forged staz motor thread :)
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

get in touch with ricethief abt said forged motor.
quest wrote:
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Ok...when the engine dumped all the water, it blew the head gasket. That's why it's running like crap. Pull it off, get another head if youre is truly cactus and refit. That's the cheapest and easiest solution. Failing that, buy the forged motor. Your budget to fit a VG30 will be blown out of the water once you add new exhaust, engine mounts, rerouting water pipework, possible larger radiator etc into the equation.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah good point too.. don't waste a good forged motor on a staz that will never see any decent power :P

(...this is where you get angry and show us how much power your staz can make with a forged motor and a gianormic turbo and mpi etc etc etc benny...)
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

blue smoke = cooked rings ;)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

what could the causes be on a low km motor for cooked rings?

On a side note, if a car only seems to blow blue smoke at high load, what does that indicate to?
quest wrote:
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

thrash wrote:what could the causes be on a low km motor for cooked rings?
Usually from the rings not bedding in properly or the engine not built to the right tolerences.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

thrash wrote:yeah good point too.. don't waste a good forged motor on a staz that will never see any decent power :P

(...this is where you get angry and show us how much power your staz can make with a forged motor and a gianormic turbo and mpi etc etc etc benny...)
right then where did i put that Naawwwwsssss kit and my 1000hp ralliart sticker...... LOL rofl

seriously though the wifey wants to put the car on bricks and start a full strip on the car :o "get a cheap bike to get you too and from work and we'll strip it and start from scratch" ..... i'm looking for the guy to jump out and yell "you've been punked"
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

does she have a sister? LOL
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

hope u dont mind me saying benny but she's pretty fkn HOT too!

benny wins at life :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au