DOHC & SOHC Manifold switching

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Anchor
I like starions more

DOHC & SOHC Manifold switching

Post by Anchor »

So err, may be a stupid question.

Can i use a 1g DSM DOHC 4g63 manifold (exhaust or inlet, prob need both) on a 1g SOHC 4g63..

In short, getting my intake tested and i'm thinking its gunna be pretty eratic at high flow levels... Hopefully will be the cause of my problems.

Nobody makes decent inlet or exhaust manifolds off the shelf, so i figured i may be able to adapt something..

Cheers

Intake - http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/p ... nifold.htm

Exhaust - http://www.streettunedmotorsports.com/p ... nifold.htm
Pigma - Nana spec GH sigma, 4g63t forged stroker, VR4 head, GT3582r...
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

intake not without a stupid amount of adapting fab work, and exh dont bother trying

in fact, just make something yourself
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Anchor
I like starions more

Post by Anchor »

Ok fair enough. So how much to make a manifold like one of them with the bellmouths and reducing in size plenum. Needs to be able to support 400rwhp. I have supporting mods, these are letting me down.

Also exhaust manifold to flow that much if you think it'll be needed? Mine is heaps smaller in inside diameter compared to the twincam one i linked.
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

Hey mate might be worth getting in touch with j.m fabrications in the US they do a well developed and proven twin cam inlet manifold to suit 4g63 engines, I got mine shipped to my door with change from $700 AUS, they are really helpfully and might be able to do a one off for you, worth a try. Otherwise you can go all out and go hypertune for about four times the price. That's why I went twin cam the lack of parts for the SOHC engines, just bolt on a vr4 head to your bottom end and you will see many doors open in regard to manifold options, but up to you would be good seeing a strong SOHC just a bit more mucking around and possibly more $$$$
just my two cents mate all the best
Anchor
I like starions more

Post by Anchor »

What about adapting one of them plenums with the runners to the bottom half of my l300 manifold??

Might give this dude a ring also.. Being in australia may help.

http://customplenums.com/site/index.php ... &Itemid=31
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

your prob best to just ring one of these places and say u want them to make u the same manifold just with a different flange on it im sure they will be able to without any hassles at all
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

^ +1. If you are spending the money it'll get done. It's not going to be that different to what they're doing.

If you're not spending much money or even if you are, the photos in this link http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.php?t=11112 might give you some ideas...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

I wouldn't bother with any fancy intake work. Look how many 2.6 SOHC on SQC gone over 500hp using oe magna intakes, without dramas.
2L sohc oe mpi intake manifold bottom half runners do have more of a 'curve' to them, than the magna tho. Dunno if that contributes to your dilema or how/if that hampers higher rpm flow.... but really no need for high rpms anyway.

For the exhaust, I save this photo of an excellent piece some austarion member made and posted long ago. About as good as it gets imo.
I'd stick with smaller diameter tubes also, so as to maintain response and midrange torque.
Peak hp/hi rpm is not where a sohc shines, and have proven quick enough without it.

I hope you get sorted as it's always refreshing to see an intense SOHC build. Your power figures seem right on par with the twincam, efficiency also.
My intention is pretty much the same... max out a 2L sohc, then I'll switch to a 2.4L
Anchor
I like starions more

Post by Anchor »

Cheers for that, have taken intake and exhaust to JB automotive down the beach. He's a guru when it comes to flow.

He had the best idea, measure the exhaust ports of every performance orientated 4cyl, find one thats close, get a good second hand manifold and he'll make it fit for under $100...

As for intake, haven't got anywhere on that. He wants to flow test it first. I'll post pics and test results on friday when i get them.
zippo
I've been here before

Post by zippo »

go to mitsubishi and and ask them to order you this

MD101957 from japan (dash log type ) you can only use mitsu turbo.
or go hybryd combo

they have 3 in stock left in the world , trust me ask them to check and then check again if they say we cant get it. its $430 paid upfront.

the l300 is fine , all you do cut ans shut to the oppasite end, then extend the front section about 50mm and adapt a xf or vs t/body and you are done. the problem you may have is too large type cooler piping going into a small opening , anything more than 2.5 will chocke it. 2.25 with at least a 60mm t/body works.

look at what astrons have done with stock manifolds and magna intakes

the plenum you have is fine , dont waste time or money , if you want to get rid of it i will take it.
old skool jap ...........
there is no substitute...........
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Jeri by all means get a second opinion on both of the manifolds BUT it seems to me that your problem is not from the hot side so hopefully the flow testing will show if there is problems with air flow in any runner/port
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Anchor
I like starions more

Post by Anchor »

I should just go twincam.... haha
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

Now your talking, more power with less stress on the rest of the engine...
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

awww another high powered sohc going down the tubes :(

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Mitsubishi-Galan ... 2eaa61e4be

here's a cheap starting point for tc? :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Anchor
I like starions more

Post by Anchor »

There's a complete vr4 head sitting on a bench at the local dyno shop.. In the 'take to the dump' pile....