JD Starion, fix it or sell it

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Noelw
[L] Plates

JD Starion, fix it or sell it

Post by Noelw »

I have a JD Starion which has a blown head gasket and I am contemplating selling the car as is, fixing the head gasket myself (I have not done anything similar for 20+ years now) or getting the head gasket fixed through a mechanic.

I was wondering what type of price range I would look at if I sold it as is (being a rare model of Starion) or what type of price range it would be to get the head gasket fixed, assuming of course I would have to get the head reconditioned. The question really is, is it worth fixing it or selling as is, as I am under pressure to sell it. The car is still running (though missing under load badly and over-heating) and the body is in reasonable shape for its age. Any advice is appreciated. I am located in Adelaide.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Fix it up, relatively easy to replace the head gasket if you've done it in the past. The back of your legs may not like you so much though.

Replace the timing belts if they are a little old or you don't know when they were done last, while you have it apart.

Much better to keep a JD alive than kill it for no real reason. Plus, if you part it, you'll still have to put spanners on it to pull it apart.

Wrench and resurrect I say!!
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Pics Please :D
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

what is the VIN?? last few #s... and what colour?
:beer
1985 JB - owned from new.
1986 JD - used to own one.......
JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

In my opinion, a JD with little to no rust is worth a minimum $4K, regardless of mechanical condition.
A JD with the black interior is a quick sale, whereas if it has the maroon interior, it may take a little longer to sell for a fraction less.
The LSD were an option (D60) on these things as well, so there would be a price adjustment too!

I'm sure you won't have a problem selling it.... if the body is in tact!! :)

Please advise VIN please! Only around 50 sold!!
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L
Starion VR4
almost postwhore

Post by Starion VR4 »

Kick it to me!! :wtf: Will take it as is. :beer

30PSI,2.4L! Wolf 3D Ver 4. VR4 Head.
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

I was in that situation more or less.I am a electrician...no mechanic but not too bad.Just did my own cam and crank seals and timing /balance shaft belts after it failed one morning!.A bonus is it doesn't leak oil anymore :) You would have to consider things like :

1.Is it your only car...obviously you get it fixed as soon as possible.
2.Do you enjoy driving the car?.How much!
3.Are spares that you might need available.?
4.How much space have you got?.(Keep the hail off your investment)
5.Do you like working on cars ?.You've got to maintain the Starions!
6.Is time a factor...doing a head gasket is not that hard...don't let it get worse...=more cost later
7.If married or single ...does she mind you having it.I hope its not the decider for you.
8.Probably the most important is your financial status...e.g the head may need repair $$$ or replace with a new one ...but you won't know till its off...don't think negative!.The RACQ guy said it would cost $1000 if the head has to come off and be repaired based on bent valves when my belt broke however it didn't happen.Also consider yearly costs of maintenance such as registration, insurance , cost of oil, coolant,tyres, little things that go wrong.....not really a issue if its your only car as you just do it.
How's the paint?.

Its like most big decisions.Make up a list of pluses and minuses, don't overlook anything.Once they are written down it will make the decision easier .Hope this helps
Starion-an 80's Classic car
Noelw
[L] Plates

Post by Noelw »

Thanks for all the responses. Problem is that I am not much of a mechanic and don't have the room to store it at all. It has been the best car I have owned and I am sad to get rid of it, but basically it is at the age where you have to be enthusiastic about mechanical work.

I will post some pictures tomorrow along with the VIN# and options plate details.

It is a silver Starion with the maroon (burgundy) interior and does have the LSD.
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

Get the head gasket fixed professionaly, get the car detailed professionally. Then take it for a drive and after that if you decide that you're over it, then its ready to sell and you'll score 5G's easily with the LSD. If you decide to keep it, you'll have a smile on your dial for a while longer.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

how much is a head gasket fix? last time one of my friends had a headgasket issue, they just ended up buying a second hand motor for 800.. they said it was cheaper that way because they just installed the motor themselves.. different car though.

if a headgasket fix is in the thousands, perhaps purchasing ricethief's forged motor for 1500 might work out cheaper and also increase the value of the car? shipping it to you might cost a bit, but these guys are cheap:

www.e-go.com.au
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Gotta love that link ^ :)
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

A silver JD with burgundy interior, good body and LSD is a very desirable car in my mind, would love to see pics.
jb - white outside maroon inside
matt g
[P] Plates

Post by matt g »

i knew as soon as i baught something a starion would pop up,

Dad and i fixed a head gaset on my old JA a couple of years ago, if i recal $180 for the gastket kit and another $300 for a new head (old was cracked between the valves) tracing the vacume lines and fiddling round the turbo was the hardest parts by memory, im in adelaide if you need a hand, but if you decide its not worth keeping lemme know as well
Noelw
[L] Plates

Post by Noelw »

After plenty of soul searching I just can't get myself enthusiastic about replacing the head gasket. I would love to keep it but just don’t have the room.

The Vin# is JD7X24SM30000030, so I presume that it is number 30. It has the D60 option.

The body is in reasonable nick, a little rust behind at the bottom back of both front wheel arches, and some bubbles showing in the back spoiler, so I assume some rust under it. The body is pretty well straight with a small ding in each door where some idiot opened them up onto something.

It is still running, though not very well, and tends to start missing and is overheating quite quickly. I had a mechanic have a look and he informed me that the head gasket had blown but no water is showing up in the oil. If anyone is interested in buying it, please contact me, I will be looking at 3k for it.

thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

:drool:

*sigh
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol