motor setups best suited for drifting

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

OLD FART wrote:
redzone wrote:yeah X 1.34 and all that haha
X 1.3405 to be exact :D
nerd :x
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
freetoskate124
[L] Plates

Post by freetoskate124 »

Honestly I'm planning on getting a motor/trans or whatever and making sure it will run well in its stock form. Then I was planning on upgrading stuff. That's why I would either lean towards the SR or 4g; they put out decent numbers stock, and they give me room to expand (along with the ease of finding parts compared to the G54B). Anyone on here drift their Starion? Any advise or good set ups?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

thrash wrote:
OLD FART wrote:
redzone wrote:yeah X 1.34 and all that haha
X 1.3405 to be exact :D
nerd :x
Hahaha I can be a bit pedantic at times :) I guess it comes from having to sign contacts for 30 years or so when its your livelyhood as well as your money that's on the line
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

does anyone drift their starion?

starion drifter in the US.. unfortunate vid though

and Oldie, i was just kidding with ya ;)

i usually do a quick conversion to get from hp to kw, div by 4 and times by 3, or div by 3 and times by 4 for kw to hp.. no calculator needed lol
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
freetoskate124
[L] Plates

Post by freetoskate124 »

[quote="thrash"]does anyone drift their starion?

starion drifter in the US.. unfortunate vid thoughquote]

ouch!
MitsuMadness
I love starions

Post by MitsuMadness »

I do think you're best option since you have a G54, would be to go for the VR4 / Twin Cam engine. Even standard they are pretty powerful, and then there are plenty of bits available.

But definitely have a look at the Twin Cam section though, cos it's not an easy or cheap conversion.

If that looks a bit expensive to start, the I'd say do a few things to your G54, make it go a bit harder, and give it a burn with that while you save up and plan up for doing a twin cam.

I bought a cheapie JB, with an LSD for $1000, and took it straight to the drift track. It actually did surprisingly well (for standard), enough that I have now started building it up properly. But yeh, out of 50 cars at the first drift day I took it to, it scored 29th place in points, so that's pretty good considering the cars it was up against.

As mentioned though, mine was a narrowbody, and 4G63 single cam, and widebodies are a bit heavier.
But I still reckon the ultimate power option for these things is the VR4 engine.
:)
<--== When I die, I want to be buried sideways ==-->

1988 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
1984 Starion JA (stripped down for track)
1983 Starion JAs x2 and shed of Starion, VR4 and EVO bits for various track projects
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

widebodies are actually not that much heavier once you get rid of the boat anchor. there's bugger all extra metal in em!
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

I'm going to make this my sig: :wink:

4G63 - 87kg dry
4G54 - 107kg dry
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yep 20kg is a lot to have where it is..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

and Oldie, i was just kidding with ya ;)

Hey Thrash I knew you were just taking the piss otherwise I might have been knocking on your door to give you an attitude adjustment LOL :beer
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

redzone wrote:yep 20kg is a lot to have where it is..
Anyone thought of mounting the engine in the back? Move the tank to the front. We can pretend it's a Porsche then...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

off my bad memory, normalbody = 1265kg.. and widebody = 1320kg.. right? so then widey with 4g63 sohc would = 1300kg eh? still a fair bit heavier.. weight is always the enemry right?

then again, i'm not sure weight would matter "as much" in ametuer drifting as compared to circuit racing or drag racing?

OLD FART wrote:and Oldie, i was just kidding with ya ;)

Hey Thrash I knew you were just taking the piss otherwise I might have been knocking on your door to give you an attitude adjustment LOL :beer
if you bring your beast along and give us a ride i'm happy to deal with said attitude adjustment ;)
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i think a widebody auto would weigh 1320, but seriously there's stuff all extra metal in em. the front guards are hardly any heavier, the inner guards are plastic, the rears weigh maybe 10kg more total..

the wrap around rear spoiler weighs a bit, but late narrowbodies had them too..

Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

My 4g63 widey (original 4g63 widey) is 1310 kg according to the registration

my 4g54 widey is also 1310 kg according ot the registration papers.

But i must agree I can't see why they weigh more then a late narrow.

Maybe the 6 bolt axles add a bit of weight?
-------------------------------------------
83 2000EX runner.
88 2.0 Black Widebody DOHC evo 6 turbo at 1.7 bar
88 2.6 White Widebody. spun a bearing.
06 2.0 Lancer Wagon. daily driver.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

hmm, sounds like someone with a widey needs to volunteer to take it to a weighbridge :)

the suspension arms are longer aren'ty they? I would assume that there is extra weight here, not only due to the extra lenght but also for the extra strengthening required for the longer arms?
quest wrote: