JA Injectors, PICS NOW UP... Help!?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

JA Injectors, PICS NOW UP... Help!?

Post by someguy »

Sorry to start a new post which kinda relates to my other "JA Warm start" post before, but...

Just wondering if the injectors are leaking, do I need new ones or are they clean/fixable?

(I'm over rolling around in a Commodore... :( boring.., need to actually drive again!)

cheers :)
Last edited by someguy on Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

im no expert as i dont own a starion but i believe there is no fix for them and new ones are impossible to find

need good second hand parts i think

someone else will fill the rest in
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

none available anywhere new, only second hand ones now, usually when you try and fix all the seals in the mixer the injectors start leaking out the sides
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Do a search. You can pull it apart and replace the o-rings in it. They tend to leak around the top of the injector itself, symptom is fuel pouring out the hole the wires feed thru at the top of the ECI

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... ight=oring
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

maybe it's not the injectors..???

Post by someguy »

Ok, so pulled the top off, and found coolant coming out this small hole inside the throtle body?? Should this even be a hole? Doesn't look right to me...

hmm... cant seem to upload pics, it says they are successfully uploaded, but?? what am i doing wrong... grrr :x

anyway, there is a hole inside the throttle body, under the air intake & above the butterfly, it doesnt seem very deep, (I stuck a bit of wre in there) & it looks like it's cast into the body, not a corrosion hole or anything...

any help in fixing pics, or car would be awesome, I'm getting pretty frustrated now...
cheers.
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by someguy »

actually, you can just make it out in the 3rd pic on this link,

down inside the throttle body, in the centre, where the black(build up) & silver(clean) areas meet you can see the reflection of the edge.

So I guess it it supposed to be there, but leaking coolant ??
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

pics now up

Post by someguy »

woo hoo, worked out how to do pics!!
1st one i'm pointing to the hole with a screwdriver.

2nd one you can see the marks where coolant has been running down, & its all sitting in the bottom

starion_eci_02.jpg was successfully uploaded!

Show Image: Image

Show Link : http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/starion_eci_02.jpg

starion_eci_01_copy1.jpg was successfully uploaded!

Show Image: Image

Show Link : http://www.fr33z3.net/starions/Apr06/st ... _copy1.jpg
diabking
[L] Plates

Post by diabking »

just been messing around with my injectors etc and found that when i removed the top hat coolant started leaking from the base of the throttle body unit and into the intake. There is a gasket at the base that starts to leak. due to the fact that two of the bolts for the top hat hold the rear of the unit down and will allow coolant to leak through into the unit. im not 100% sure but think that hole is for idle allowing enough air past while the throttle is shut. i at the moment am flow testing, checking spray pattern etc of the starion injectors and have successfully put new injectors in the top hat, with some modifying. just havent got the flow rate right yet but when i do i will let you know.
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by someguy »

diabking wrote:just been messing around with my injectors etc and found that when i removed the top hat coolant started leaking from the base of the throttle body unit and into the intake. There is a gasket at the base that starts to leak. due to the fact that two of the bolts for the top hat hold the rear of the unit down and will allow coolant to leak through into the unit. im not 100% sure but think that hole is for idle allowing enough air past while the throttle is shut. i at the moment am flow testing, checking spray pattern etc of the starion injectors and have successfully put new injectors in the top hat, with some modifying. just havent got the flow rate right yet but when i do i will let you know.

well I had the injectors cleaned, & cleaned up/changed their o-rings, put it all back together to see what happens & its still getting in, looks like I'll need to do the gasket at the base, thanks for the info :)
apparently the hole is for idle or something, coolant is just sitting in there, not coming from there, phew, thats a relief.
coop1er
I've been here before

Post by coop1er »

It probably is just the base gasket leaking in your case. But if that doesn't fix it then you should know that those holes in the throttle body go through the intake manifold and up to the intake manifold gasket face on the cylinder head. So other possible sources of the coolant are head corrosion, intake manifold gasket damaged or intake manifold cracked/corroded.
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by someguy »

coop1er wrote:It probably is just the base gasket leaking in your case. But if that doesn't fix it then you should know that those holes in the throttle body go through the intake manifold and up to the intake manifold gasket face on the cylinder head. So other possible sources of the coolant are head corrosion, intake manifold gasket damaged or intake manifold cracked/corroded.
ok thanks...
seeing as I've had the top off 3 times in the last month, I'm pretty sure it will just be the bottom seal
djalpha
I like starions

Post by djalpha »

For anyone out there, make sure u drain the coolant level below the seal. as u have found out coolant will enter the inlet manifold and sit on top of your pistons when u remove the two long bolts on the injector hat. i would advise removing your plugs and cranking over the engine to disperse the coolant before u fire the motor.
DJALPHA
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by someguy »

djalpha wrote:For anyone out there, make sure u drain the coolant level below the seal. as u have found out coolant will enter the inlet manifold and sit on top of your pistons when u remove the two long bolts on the injector hat. i would advise removing your plugs and cranking over the engine to disperse the coolant before u fire the motor.
Ok, so after pulling it apart & putting it all back together again (twice) I seem to be right back to where I started from
It won't start!!! :twisted:

I now have nice clean injectors and the seals are all good, it's getting fuel and spark, but it just seems to be getting confused... cranks & cranks but doesn't kick. I feel I have taken a real long round trip creating my own coolant/gasket/seals hassle without solving the original problem at all :(
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Time to bite the bullet and go MPI :wink:
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
someguy
[P] Plater austaz

Post by someguy »

yeah mpi would be nice, but by the time it's all on & set up $$ becomes a factor. I'm not working on it myself because I think it's an excellent & joyus way to pass my time... although not having the car going is equally crap.
I can do stuff, but trouble shooting & doing stuff with a net result of '0' doesn't get the thumbs up. Patience is running out :(