JA ignition timing and idle adjustment?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
JA83
Mine is bigger than yours

JA ignition timing and idle adjustment?

Post by JA83 »

hi ive just adjusted my static ignition timing on my stock Ja. the information sticker under the bonnet is no longer so ive adjusted it to 8 degrees. ?? is this correct?

also i had to readjust the idle speed because for some reason the last idividual had the timing at 5 degrees ATDC :? so obviously the idle increased when i moved the distributer. i adjusted the idle by unscrewing the idle soenoid ( has single wire connected to it), as i couldnt see any other adjustments apart from the screws for the wax pellet. is this the correct adjustment? or should it be done by the ecu?
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

8 degrees BTDC is ok.

The 'solenoid' you referred to is not the idle solenoid - JAs don't have one. That thing is an air bleed, used when the aircon is on.

The idle adjustment needs to be done by the adjusting screw on the throttle lever (which the accelerator cable attaches to) and the cold start mechanism (the wax pellet thing - there are adjusting screws for it where it engages the throttle butterfly lever).
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )