ebay turbo kit

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

ebay turbo kit

Post by pajeroturbo »

hello there everyone can you have a look at this turbo kit and give me an advice is it ok to buy it? this is a very cheap kit for me that i live in greece.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-90-Mi ... ccessories

thank alot
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

The old saying "if something seems too good to be true, it probably is" could apply here. The kit is too comprehensive to seem to be able to be done for the price offered. I'm not saying its rubbish but...........

My 2 cents - all that for less than the cost of a good quality turbo just seems to be a bit unrealistic. Do your research it could be good or it could be money down the drain. :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Given the recent problems that I've had with Stainless steel exhaust manifolds, I say avoid this like the plague.

The package just doesn't seem to be of good quality to be at that price...
Vulpes
almost postwhore

Post by Vulpes »

If it looks like dog poop, smells like dog poop then it must be.......
jwebb2876
I've been here before

Post by jwebb2876 »

cat poop?
"Speed isn't everything; you gotta look cool on the touge too."- Keiichi Tsuchiya
gj2600.wordpress.com
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

Post by pajeroturbo »

i can see that the turbo may not be something good im thinking of using all the rest of the things and especialy for the exaust manifold and buy a original garrett turbo to put on. over here only to fix the exaust manifold it will cost me more money than all the kit.
so exept from the turbo does all the rest seem to you guys a good choice?
thanks again for all the advice.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

wow :shock:

well at least someone's offering a full kit for the starion ;) Mind you, since it's a US kit, i would assume it's for the 2.6L, and the turbo may not be all that well suited to the 2L motor. Perhaps someone with knowledge of ARs and comp trims etc can enlighten us.

i know some people who decided to experiment with cheapy ebay turbos, and their results are mixed. It seems the quality control is the biggest problem. Some of them have been excellent, while others have either blown up, not made enough power, found to be unbalanced, etc.

Their advice: a decent original turbo will last a long while, and an ebay turbo will last a fraction of that time - perhaps a year or two before it shows signs of aging. If you have to get one, make sure it has a warranty - this shows that they hopefully have at least 'some' form of quality control. Since they've been around for a while, and don't seem to be going away, people are buying and using them, which means they aren't THAT bad. That said, the warranty only covers the turbo, not your engine or your safety - since you're going for a cheap turbo, go for a cheap intercooler as well. The intercooler will be the first step to protecting your engine - if the compressor blows, hopefully the bits will get stuck in the intercooler core and not make it to your combustion chambers - so you've damaged a 100 dollar intercooler instead of an engine. None the less, the risk of engine damage is always still there.

Also, remember that you get what you pay for. A kit that costs a grand will fall short of the same kit that costs 5 grand in some way or other. It might be quality, it might be longevity, it might be a multitude of things. Often, however, it's brand name that you're paying for - but behind brand name is research and development - by paying that extra for brand name, you're not only paying for an assurance of quality, you're also paying for continued research and development - something that the cheap chinese copiers will never ever do. I believe Trust went bust recently.. people are buying copies instead of the originals that Trust spent a lot of money developing (yes Nacho, i know that exhaust mani was a Trust item - but people are very much into bling, and stainless is definately more bling than steampipe :P On a side note, bling is another reason people buy brand name, or put brand stickers on their car even though they have no components from that brand..), and as a result, more tuning companies may go under, so this is somethign to ponder when buying imitations.

Don't be discouraged though - the 1 grand kit might be all that you personally need. perhaps you just want a fun toy that you can destroy for a year before "growing up".. or perhaps you have a budget project in mind.. etc.

Also, on a side note, since all the "big" tuning brand names don't cater for the starion, why should we pay extra for their research and development on other cars eh? :?

...sorry... i'll end the rant now..

but i'll say one last thing about the kit that's on offer on ebay.. Under "Installation", they say "We are the parts supplier, not mechanic." meaning they haven't tested this kit on their own cars, and couldn't care less how well it works, and if anything goes wrong, you can expect them to blame the installer. Good luck with it all if you choose to buy it.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
Xentro
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Xentro »

Interesting kit..

They do say it's for a 4g63 Starion..

But they supply a intercooler that looks smaller then stock and a adapter for the oil cooler... why.. we already have a oil cooler connection on the filter. Much better to use that.

Seems like a big pile of generic use parts.. That could potentially be used on a Starion.

However be ready for ALOT of modifing yourself, it doen't look like it will be bolt on...
-------------------------------------------
83 2000EX runner.
88 2.0 Black Widebody DOHC evo 6 turbo at 1.7 bar
88 2.6 White Widebody. spun a bearing.
06 2.0 Lancer Wagon. daily driver.
Komeuppance
Enthusiast

Post by Komeuppance »

I would advise against buying it. No one in the US has bought it yet... or they have and they're not talking because they don't want to be ashamed. So we don't have any info/reviews about it.

...unless you want to be the guinea pig and gamble on it.

-Robert
Now: Australian Compatible!
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

looking at that exhaust manifold gasket in the foreground, that kit is for a DOHC 4G63. and i'm betting the ex manifld is a fwd/4wd type one.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
pajeroturbo
Dorifto!

Post by pajeroturbo »

now that i look at it better you are right redzone the gasket looks it is for the dohc but the seller says that it is for the starion 4g63 engine. i will ask the seller and get back tou you guys and tell you.

thanks for all your replys guys.
DYNAPACK 2000
HALTECH ENGINE MANAGMENT SYSTEMS
leoca
I've been here before

Post by leoca »

Theres a 4G54 kit available too at the moment...but i think he's used the same photo :?
Starion-an 80's Classic car