Making the most power out of my Starion i can. Need guidance

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Entaran wrote: Screamer pipes are illegal. Period. They also make one HELL of a noise, you would be better off getting the wastegate plumbed back into the downpipe for both legalities and your ears.

Skipping a catalytic convertor is a great way to get a defect or a huge fine from your gov't enviromental agency. You can get cat's from "Metalcat" which flow so high they don't impede the exhaust gas and still actually work. Yeah it's like 350-400 bucks but ... upto you. Also cars without cat's backfire when you get off the throttle as the unburnt fuel explodes in the exhaust pipe. HOWEVER, if this car was in australia it wouldn't be required to have a cat by law due to build date, so worth checking :)
This is weird.. in these quotes you assume she lives in Australia and start quoting Australian laws.. but in subsequent posts you acknowledge she's in NZ.

FYI, our laws aren't the same as yours. You wont get "defected" or a 'huge fine from the government's environmental agency' for not having a cat converter.

If a car backfires when you get off the throttle simply put it is running rich - having a cat converter in place is not going to fix this. It's well known that unburnt fuel actually does damage to a cat converter, eventually the cat converter will overheat, clog up and be rendered useless if exposed to unburnt fuel for too long.

My Eterna backfired when getting off the throttle with the cat converter fitted, and continued to do so when I removed the cat converter. My VR-4 doesn't have a cat converter and it certainly doesn't backfire when getting off the throttle. I would put the backfiring under throttle-off down to the crappiness of the throttle-body injection system rather than not having a cat converter.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
MisJiF
Widebody Wannabe

Post by MisJiF »

Wouldn't you be better off fixing up the EX instead?
You'd get a better, more reliable car out of it at the end of the day. You could then sell your GSR for extra cash.
1981 Mitsubishi Mirage GLS
1982 Mitsubishi Starion GSR-III (Sold)
1996 Mitsubishi Galant GSR
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

You'll find NZ and Aus EPA laws are the same minus the wording in a few clauses I think.

There will be a few differences but not having a cat is a massive fine in every western country I know of. And there's no way in hell screamer pipes are legal, you'd fail on noise alone let alone the fact that the emissions will autofail you.
bridgey
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by bridgey »

Entaran wrote:You'll find NZ and Aus EPA laws are the same minus the wording in a few clauses I think.

There will be a few differences but not having a cat is a massive fine in every western country I know of. And there's no way in hell screamer pipes are legal, you'd fail on noise alone let alone the fact that the emissions will autofail you.
Its perfectly legal to have no cat in New Zealand, screamers are however illegal
87 GSR-V, Factory DASH, Rebuilt bottom end with arp rod bolts and balance shafts removed, head reconed with 3 angle valve grind, TD05 housing machined out to take Garrett T4 internals, rebuilt and cryoed gearbox
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

bridgey wrote:
Entaran wrote:You'll find NZ and Aus EPA laws are the same minus the wording in a few clauses I think.

Its perfectly legal to have no cat in New Zealand, screamers are however illegal
If your crafty and plumb your screamer exhaust to the rear of the car its legal too - will pass noise test (no load) , and exhaust regs
spinners
I like starions

Post by spinners »

In New Zealand the all the NZ assembled Starions and turbo sigma's cordia's etc didn't come with cat converters from factory.
We don't have emission testing for WOF's(I think the damn Green party are trying though)
If they do get their way ,i think my DASH Starion would fail cause it runs richer than Bill Gates LOL
**83 MITSUBISHI STARION DASH EX **
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

That's awesome to hear guys.

Over here if your car came from the factory without a cat (aka JA staz) then you don't need one, even if you convert to unleaded.

But if it came with one and you get nabbed without it... $10,000 on the spot fine. Nastiest on the spot fine you can get.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

Ferrari F40s came stock with screamer pipes :P

plus i would think screamer pipes can only be caught if the cop can actually SEE it.. if it's hidden well enough, you can't exactly test for the noise.. when they do their test, there is no load.. so no boost.. so wastegate does not open.. so no noise from screamer.. right?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

thats all correct but im guessing if you ran a screamer pipe you would get sick of it pretty quick as its going to be really loud!
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
Entaran
I love starions

Post by Entaran »

I think your cops are nicer than Victorian ones. Here if they hear your screamer pipe open when you're boosting up a main st or something and they're just sitting there with a radar gun.... well you're gonna get your car towed home.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

yeah i wouldn't move to victoria.. it seems the further north you go, the nicer the cops? nsw cops just hang around to make a quick fine. money from fines are more important than solving crimes here.. qld cops and regulations are a bit more lax from what I hear eh?

and.. considering i hate fart cannons, i'm pretty sure i wouldn't want to live with a screamer pipe anyway.. does plumbing it back into the exhaust rob THAT much power?
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

spinners wrote:

In New Zealand the all the NZ assembled Starions and turbo sigma's cordia's etc didn't come with cat converters from factory.
We don't have emission testing for WOF's(I think the damn Green party are trying though)
If they do get their way ,i think my DASH Starion would fail cause it runs richer than Bill Gates LOL
Just being pedantic but Starions were never assembled here, they were all imported built up from Japan, but they were euro-spec models (as they may have been deemed more suitable for NZ than the jap-spec models). Same deal with the NZ-new GTOs, sold new in NZ but built in Japan and originally destined to be for the european market.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

just FYI, if you plumb your "screamer" pipe into the main exhaust outlet at least a foot after the turbo, and on a shallow angle (ie 30 degress) you will actually GAIN power over having it dump into the atmosphere. it can be made to suck the waste gas out of the turbo, as exhaust gas coming from a screamer pipe travels faster than that coming from a turbine housing..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

so then screamer pipes are the exhaust equivalent of unboxed pod filters eh?
quest wrote:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

wank factor 10/10
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au