Headlight switches-has anyone repaired them successfully?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Adriano
I've been here before

Headlight switches-has anyone repaired them successfully?

Post by Adriano »

My headlight switch still works, but to get the headlights on, i have to jam the switch crooked, has anyone dissasembled them and repaired?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

in a word no, i have repaired them before but the little tab always breaks off again. best to get a set of american switches and use the parts out of them to repair your aussie ones. or change the wiring if needed.

also the reason these things break is the springs are too hard, if we could find a softer spring the right size then they wouldnt break.

either that or cnc up some new buttons....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I have done it. I replaced it with another button I picked up from another broken set. It is a little fiddly, and yes, if you try and glue the tabs back on they will break again. I am very careful with my switches whenever I use them but it has been successful for about 3 years or more now.

One of these days I might make a replacement set of switches with the same connectors just so I never have to worry again :beer
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Whats the advantage of the american ones?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

usually less use and better climate for plastic..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Normally the 'stalk' below the flat button breaks. I have successfully remade one out of aluminium with hand tools (damn painstaking) and glued it back onto the button. Not overly hard, but time consuming.

No fix for the clouded and crazed clear sections though.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Same here, tab on the bottom let go and lights stayed on.

Dissected the switch, made a small aluminium tab then glued and screwed it back into place.
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Never seen a broken one over here either (UK). One advantage to having shitty weather 6 months of the year! :)
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
MrBishi
nearly postwhore

Post by MrBishi »

Found pics of my successful repair I did a few years ago.

On the JB the button came off when I tried to turn off the lights. Lucky window was closed because the sping made it go flying!

Pull it apart.
Here you can see the broken 'hook' beside an unbroken button.
Unfortunately the buttons are different so you can't swap them around (like from a seldom used button on the left side cluster)

Here you can see the alloy 'stalk' that I made next to an unbroken button.
I made this with hand files and a hacksaw - nothing anyone doesn't have in the garage and no special skills required.

Further shaping and also trimmed the plastic button in preparation for gluing together.

Glued together

Finished - time for reassembly. A few hours fiddly work, but far better than trying to glue broken plastic together.

Hope this helps.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

if we could find a supplier for softer springs, breaking these would become a thing of the past (after you disassemble and reassemble with the new ones that is)

bloody good help there anthony

JDSTAZ45
almost postwhore

Post by JDSTAZ45 »

MrBishi wrote: No fix for the clouded and crazed clear sections though.
I've repaired the cloudy sections by getting HCCA (Sam) to reproduce those small sections, the same way he does the instrument cluster.

Very fiddly though! You need to be careful how you pull it apart, and reglue it!
Imports.
88 GSR-VR Widebody 2.6L
87 GSR-V 12V Dash 2.0L