My gearbox won't bolt into position!

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Station
I like starions more

My gearbox won't bolt into position!

Post by Station »

Do you know what 5 litres of gearbox fluid looks like? I do, it's all over my garage floor after I gave up trying to get this box back in for the fifth time!

I'm having massive problems trying to bolt it back up. Is there a method to get it in as the dowels aren't going into the holes (the two bolt holes on the sides and the two on the top).

Basically, I put a new clutch release fork in, and put everything back together. I couldn't get it in, so I took everything apart again, removed the engine from the mounts, repositioned it, took the box out completely and then repositioned and tried to put it in. I've bolted the engine in place on both sides of the mounts so it's correctly in position, but I can't get the box to correctly bolt up without having it misaligned. I've pulled and pushed and taken everything out a number of times and it ain't going in!!

Anyone any ideas?
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

TIP don't fill the box until it is bolted up you can fill it via the lever opening b 4 u install the lever
TIP make sure you have the front of the motor a bit higher than the back so it's easier to line up the box
TIP no need to undo the engine mounts
TIP have the box in neutral

IF it's the same clutch and box and you havn't undone the preasure plate then there is absolutely no reason why it shouldn't slip back in
Hope this helps Cheers
Rad
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

It's been in before and there is no reason why it shouldn't just slip into place. The reason the engine is mounted was becuase it was only held in with one bolt (due to putting new one in last year).
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Has the clutch disc been aligned properly first? If it hasn't, the gearbox input shaft is going to have a tough time trying to get in there. You can buy clutch disc aligning tools but I always just use a short 1/2" drive extension and line it up by eye, works for me everytime. Tighten up the clutch pressure plate bolts only enough to stop the clutch disc sliding around by itself, but not too tight that you can't slide the clutch disc yourself. Once the clutch disc is aligned then tighten the bolts up fully.

Also make sure you slide the flywheel spigot bearing onto the input shaft a few times before fitting to the flywheel to make sure it's not binding or going to have any troubles getting on. I always apply a little bit of grease to the input shaft and splines.

And yeah, definitely don't fill the gearbox before you put it in - you can definitely get to the filler bung easy by using a funnel with a long flexible hose.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Oops, I see you have just replaced the clutch fork! I skim read the first post and assumed you replaced the clutch disc itself! A little grease on the splines should help out anyway.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Not sure if it was in gear tbh. I checked the top today and I'm sure it was in fourth. Oh well.

I had a spillage which managed to covered a huge patch with stinking horrid transmission fluid. Sand from the local beach helped out though!

panda
Enthusiast

Post by panda »

I see beach sand & a bucket. All you need is a spade to make sand castles in your garage. :D :D :D
Dreams have no limits.

1982 JA - Ex Enthuzed
1982 JA - For Sale - pending
1983 JA - Ex Auto-cross car - being parted out
1983 JA - Being parted out
1984 JA - Rolling shell - For Sale
1985 JB - Rally car project
1985 JB - Autocross car
1985 JB - Week-end cruiser
JD_Stazza_Brendan
almost postwhore

Post by JD_Stazza_Brendan »

UK Beaches have sand??
-JA Starion with JD bits , Forged engine, Heaps of mods (parked up)
-BFII XR6 Turbo Ute , Here comes 400hp for 2k :p
-77 Mazda 323 drag car. 13bt rotary project.

Yes i have too many toys.
SOHC POWER
quest
I love starions

Post by quest »

get free sawdust from local woodwork shops for sapping up spills. Works
excellent, and they really don't mind you sweeping up and carting off bags full of
the stuff it seems :)
I hate gearbox spills so much, that I stop working whenevr it does. I go ape sh1t if
it gets on me. Yeah, make sure drain gearbox and diff beforehand. Nasty stuff!

while bolting together, ensure the mating surfaces stay paralell.
With box in gear, try turning the output shaft a tiny bit (to mesh shaft/disc
splines).
Sometimes they'll "slip right together" after taking a break from it.
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Yes, we have lovely sandy beaches over here! I live here, surrounded by them! It did the job anyway, any residue was gone and it swept up just leaving a stain on the garage floor (and no smell). :)

I got two long bolts with a nut, put them through the two lower holes (below the starter on each side) and just tightened them up that way. Tried that last time, but I tried it again and it seemed to work after about a minute of wiggling about (and changing gear).
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Station wrote:Yes, we have lovely sandy beaches over here! I live here, surrounded by them! It did the job anyway, any residue was gone and it swept up just leaving a stain on the garage floor (and no smell). :)
You seem happy about a stain on the floor. Oil on my garage floor pisses me off...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

It's a rented garage. The landlords didn't care when their crappy doors got broken into and £1,500 worth of my stuff got taken. It gives it character anyway.

I went back up yesterday and reconnected everything. I popped the gears about and used two long bolts and nuts on the lower bolt holes and managed to squeeze it together that way. I'm not sure why it's so stubborn to mate again, but that's how it is.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Station wrote:It's a rented garage. The landlords didn't care when their crappy doors got broken into and £1,500 worth of my stuff got taken. It gives it character anyway.

I went back up yesterday and reconnected everything. I popped the gears about and used two long bolts and nuts on the lower bolt holes and managed to squeeze it together that way. I'm not sure why it's so stubborn to mate again, but that's how it is.
Nice landlords, nice indeed!

Yeah, I've used bolts to pull it together again when nothing else seemed wrong with it and still couldn't mate it properly.
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.