W58 supra gearbox conversion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yeah I didn't discount the rx7 box, I found a great guy who does nothing but those box's and quoted me $550. Only problem is the B2600 bellhousing only goes to Wideblock. Maybe if I get the Bellhousing and use an adapterplate again, I have considered this because of the ease of clutch options, but don't you still have to modify the tailshaft?
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

Yes. Sorry I didn't realise that you are going to be using the VR4 block - rather than a wide block with twin cam head set up.
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

My opinion only here - $900 is too much for a W58 from the wreckers. Dellows will sell you one that's freshly rebuilt (and they replace EVERYTHING) for $1000.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Thats a pretty good price. I did think the same thing for $900. There was one on ebay for $900 that was BRAND new. But shipping of the box would probably be a bit wouldn't it? I don't mind spending the extra $100 at all though for the rebuilt box.
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

groupAralliart wrote:Before you go with the supra box option, rethink the Mazda option: series 5 box should cost between $500 - $600 and has much better shift than the supra box from my research. You will find parts as easy to find and the factory bell housing when you locate one would be cheaper again than the Dellow one I am guessing.Also you can adjust the shifter location fairly easily. Lots of high torque and high HP engines with the series 5 box behind them making much more than 500hp.
P.S. I wonder how they compare on weight as I know the Mazda stuff is designed with weight in mind on the RX7
as far as im aware the rx7 boxes dont shift that great, infact alot of the rotor guys swap them out for the w series gearboxes

they must be doing it for a reason :x
JiMI
[L] Plates

Post by JiMI »

i'm not sure if anyone has spoken to him ever but rod hatfield in castlemaine in victoria is a real gearbox guru.. he makes/mods everything needed to do a suprabox conversion on old holden utes etc so he may have done this before for someone... could well be worth a call ;)
Give me Fuel.. Give me Fire.. Give me that which i desire
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Ron at Coltspeed, designed the bellhousing for the w58 with the old boy from Dellow. The old mate also said that all the steel/alloy case stuff is bs, and are as strong as each other, if they have the steel brace piece fitted.
As for the shifter position, it was the longest one (23 inch i think) that you needed for the Starion.

Castlemain is going broke, Dellow looked at buying them but said that they are too far gone, and won't be around long enough to bother trying to save them.

the w series box was used in so many toyota vehicles, that the ratio, shifter and input shafts selections are near endless.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

It was mentioned that you need the VR4 flywheel. Would the std starion flywheel I have in my car work? Sorry if thats a noob question, I do know they are slightly different. Just thought it might be a possibility.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

You need a vr4 flywheel, Starion one is bigger and will not fit inside of the bellhousing. That is one of the advantages of a rx7 box is that you can have more surface area with your clutch because you are keeping the bigger flywheel. However being rwd i think the rear wheels will be slipping before your clutch LOL
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

yeah thats what I thought. And the 2.6 flywheel is even bigger then the 2.0 flywheel from memory
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

www.18u wrote:However being rwd i think the rear wheels will be slipping before your clutch LOL
I wouldn't rely on that as the 'breaking point'
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

I'm running a VR4 block with an adaptor plate, a Starion flywheel (to accomodate a bigger clutch) and the Dellow bellhousing to suit the adaptor plate (standard Starion pattern I believe).

Adaptor plates aren't hard to come by, in fact I think there's a couple available on here from someone that made them recently. This way you can utilise a bigger clutch. It's a nice set up.

Lummy
RiceThief
my mangina paid for my staz

Post by RiceThief »

groupAralliart wrote:
www.18u wrote:However being rwd i think the rear wheels will be slipping before your clutch LOL
I wouldn't rely on that as the 'breaking point'
I think shannon means that if the smaller vr4 flywheel can handle the torque loading of the 4wd system, it shouldnt be a problem in rwd in the starion.
Starions are a disease, the only cure is poverty.

Project Grand Sport Racing Five
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

WidebodyWoody wrote:yeah thats what I thought. And the 2.6 flywheel is even bigger then the 2.0 flywheel from memory
same dia and ring gear dia just fatter and to heavy
Lummy wrote: Adaptor plates aren't hard to come by, in fact I think there's a couple available on here from someone that made them recently. This way you can utilise a bigger clutch. It's a nice set up.
Lummy
couldn't think of any thing worse on a race car lummy anymore weight the crank has to drive in circles is bad
I'm running a 7 1/4 " clutch and had thought of going smaller
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
Lummy
I love starions

Post by Lummy »

Yep, fair point.

If the smaller and lighter flywheel and clutch can handle the power, then that's the way to go.

Mine was already set up with the adaptor plate, so I just ran with it.

I could probably use a lightened flywheel to reduce some of the weight.