no spark when turning over on a sohc 4g64

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
airbats801
Enthusiast

no spark when turning over on a sohc 4g64

Post by airbats801 »

I'm trying to get this van I picked up to star. I cant get any spark when the thing turns over, but as soon as your stop turning it over it sparks onc eor twice.

I've replaced the mpi relay, tried another dizzy, new coil, power transistor, and ignition switch.

It's stating to drive me crazy I can smell fuel. I've got it to kick over for a few secoinds after letting off the starter. I've also checked the relays, but I thin I will go back through and ohm everything out again.

this is a 1990 starwagon 2wd.

I'm beginning to wonder if th ecu is bad.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

does it have a ballast resistor? It could be something to do with the link to the ballast resistor when it's cranking over. When you engage the starter, the ballast resistor is bypassed to allow full voltage to get to the coil (as when cranking it over voltage is reduced going to coil), but when cranking is stopped the power to the coil is fed via a ballast resistor to step down the voltage.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
airbats801
Enthusiast

Post by airbats801 »

no it doesnt have one.

I was browsing through some posts on a 2.4 truck forum adn I saw somoen mention that the ecu's are prone to going bad, so I pulled the cover off the ecu and noticed one cap has been leaking a little. I'm beginning to wonder if this is my problem. After talking with a friend, he mentioned if they even leak a little they are usually bad. Gonna get the partnumber tonight and have a buddy pick me up one from the local electronics store, and try soldering it in tomorrow. Knock on wood. I wanna drive this bad boy.
'78 Colt cp, 80 challenger "scorpion" 5spd g54bt conversion almost complete, '80 plymtouh arrow "might max" , '90 mitsu terror van "spacewagon"
80's Hero
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

check the output from the dissy, and get a noid light onto the injector connectors to see if they're pulsing too
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au