Sigma and Starion "interchangable parts"

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Sigma and Starion "interchangable parts"

Post by www.18u »

Can anyone tell me what parts can be swapped between each other, or what parts could be considered a upgrade to either car. :? I asked the same question on a sigma forum and have not even had one answer :x Can someone help a brother out?
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

A lot of the front suspension parts/bushes are the same, such as ball joints, inner & outer tie rod ends, steering idler arm, radius rod & control arm bushes.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Thanks JP :D I can't believe how little responce i have had on either forums. Looks like im going to have to do this the hard way :shock: Me thinks i will have a busy day tomorrow :wink:
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Going from my one (which is essentially a 4th generation Galant/Sigma coupe)

The suspension is muchly the same, mine is IRS at the rear but non turbo Sigmas are live axle at the rear with triangulated arms, same as the non-turbo Starion. Front is almost identical on the coupe (same with Sapporo/Scorpion) except the strut top hats have 4 bolt mounting as opposed to 3 bolt mounting on the Starion. Also from factory they run more positive camber but the strut tops can be flipped around with an extra hole drilled for the locating pin to run more negative camber. The steering relay rod on the Starion has the two balljoints which attach to the pitman arm and the idler arm built into it, while on the Sigma/Scorpion the balljoints are on the idler arm and pitman arm itself. Both inner and outer tie rod ends are the same as mentioned above.

On the sedans the sway bar mounts to the strut bar/radius rod mounting, whereas on coupes (ie mine and the Starion) it mounts closer to the control arm.

Engines and gearboxes are mostly similar (well for NZ and Jap ones), I would imagine Aus spec have the 2.6 and possibly a borg warner box and diff? Aus spec models would probably have PBR brakes calipers and master cylinder too surely whereas Jap/worldspec and Starion is Sumitomo and Nabco.

Interior is very similar, it looks like you can transplant a Starion dashboard into a Sigma/Scorpion.

The Starion is based on the 4th generation Galant Coupe (Lambda), so there are lots of mechanical similarities. Mine is almost mechanically identical apart from a few differences. The Starion is 6" shorter in wheelbase than the Galant coupe though.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Now thats what im talking about :D Thanks heaps DG :beer

Do you know the paint code/colour name of your galant by any chance?
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

no idea I'm afraid, I'll have a look when I get home from work although I think it might be a bit too early to have a paint code on it. It's somewhat faded from what it was originally meant to be and I really want to respray it in a more modern shade of yellow some time ;)
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

a few of the front end bits will go.. old school pajero steering box looks identical..

add to the list :beer :D

http://forums.austarion.com/viewtopic.p ... highlight=