turbo trouble?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
jedi
I like starions more

turbo trouble?

Post by jedi »

Hi guys., Just got my starion running the other day but trouble with my brand new turbo. it's got no dump pipe on it at the moment getting one made have not run it for long just on and off trailer but it spiting alot of oil out of the back of turbo onto the fire wall is this part of the running in process for oil to spit out until it fully heats up and run for while or are my seals f**cked? :x just ive never had to run a new turbo in so still learning :oops:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

its probably watery soot
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

What is watery soot? I get this out of my exhaust.

Spitting oil from the turbo deffo means a seals gone surely? Where is it coming from exactly?
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
LSD, Intercooler, ABS, leather interior, air con
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

one of the byproducts of complete combustion of a hydrocarbon (like petrol) is water (the other being CO2) and when an engine is cold the exhaust system is cold (or if the exhaust isnt connected as in jedi's case) the water doesnt have time to evaporate before leaving the system, it gets caught up with the carbon soot in the exhaust gas and leaves a liquid black mess where the exhaust shoots out...

you also see steam mist from an exhaust on a cold morning occasionally....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

Is this normal? It's one of the reasons I am removing my engine?
1987 Mitsubishi Starion 2.0 Turbo RHD with 88 - 90 engine (?), manual gearbox (MAP Sensor'd).
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

unless you can develop an engine which is 100% efficient and doesn't have any combustion by-products then yes this is completely normal. To what degree however depends on how well your engine is tuned.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

We're talking about a fairly big splatter on the floor behind the exhaust.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

yes but are you talking about oil or 'watery soot'?

if oil, then no that's not normal.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
jedi
I like starions more

oil

Post by jedi »

I'm pretty sure its oil it was smoking alot to.but i thought was normal after rebuild for a short time till it clears it self . this is a fully recon engine has only been run for around 5mins max there so many things i've gotta go through before i pull turbo off and check seal .e.g there could be a block in the oil return which is pushing oil out the seals i doubt but must check, being fully recon engine which hasn't been driven yet but on and off trailer could be ring on piston havn't settled down yet and letting oil through. but i must say driving the car off the trailer it wasn't no where near the amount of oil or smoke coming out i've talk to a few people they told me to wait till exhaust on and take it for a bast if still smoking by then. we got problems :( :drunks
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i'd say its definitely normal...i also HIGHLY doubt its oil, as if raw oil was coming out you exhaust, your plugs would be fouled up in about 2 seconds flat (assuming your turbo rear seal is ok)

just because its black and wet doesnt mean its oil..

jedi
I like starions more

FIX

Post by jedi »

:D fix problem split turbo and found we had left a bung in the oil return :oops: all good now.
jedi
I like starions more

video

Post by jedi »

Here's the video once we fixed the problem. still bit alot smoke but thats manly all the oil on the exhaust and what was left in exhaust.

Station
I like starions more

Post by Station »

That sounds identical to my Starion through a mobile phone video recording!

The smoke always gets you, you think it's about to catch fire!