Fuel Pump wiring

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Fuel Pump wiring

Post by Alspos »

Anyone gotten rid of the black box that's attached to the fuel pump cradle, the fuel pump wiring runs through it. I think it's a capacitor, as when measuring voltage after the key shuts off the voltage dies down slowly. And adverse affect by removing it?

And can I earth the fuel pump directly instead of using the factory wiring loom earth? I think I have an earth issue somewhere along the way so I'm trying to work/get it right.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

Should be no problems earthing the pump direct to chassis instead of using the loom earth, should be less resistance. By that token some people relocate the fuel pump relay to the rear (or simply just add another) and run a thicker power feed wire to the relay/pump to increase voltage getting there. Seems it can drop up to a few volts at times.

Not sure about the block box, have never dealt with that one. Maybe the older pumps don't like being switched off suddenly? I imagine a newer pump like a Bosch 044 wouldn't have any issues with that.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i believe its just a noise suppressor al, i've never had problems axing it..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JPC
almost postwhore

Post by JPC »

Al, Redzone's right - it's just a noise suppressor. If your radio works fine without the black box, you're ok - otherwise you'll need it.
Starion nutter since 1988...
1983 JA, 1984 JA, 1985 JB (all rego'd, all running :D )
4gpwr
I love starions

fuel

Post by 4gpwr »

what fuel pump are you fitting , because a starion pump is a lift pump , a bosh pump is not .
4Gs Rule
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Both...either....whatever worked. Had issues with pumps dying, figured the more I chopped out, the better my chances of it working would be.

Currently a stock one is in there.