N/A Starion?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Hendrix69
Newcomer

N/A Starion?

Post by Hendrix69 »

Hi everyone
I'm tempted to buy a JA Starion, but don't really know too much about them and have a few questions, so I figured what better place than here to get some answers :)

The main thing I want to know is whether it is possible (apart from being sacreligeous) to fit an NA motor easily into a Starion. I think the Galants came with a N/A version of the 4g63, and was hoping something like that could just be bolted up with no real mods or hard work. Might be dreaming though, I don't know...

My other main question is how expensive/hard to get Starion parts are? I have a feeling that if something breaks I won't be able to wander down to the local wreckers and pick up Starion bits :x Although being a Japanese car from the '80's, it'll probably never break anyway :)

Cheers for putting up with my noob questions
PS. Awesome forum. It would almost be worth buying one just to hang out here :beer
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

Galant was front wheel drive so big hassles there. Parts are available but you do have to chase them up. bUY A sTARION THAT LOOKS LIKE IT HAS BEEN WELL LOOKED AFTER AND YOU SHOULD BE OKAY, Cheers Steve
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Starions came n/a but are like hens teeth....
Not all galant's are FWD but the RWD n/a ones would have had the narrow block as apposed to the wide turbo block in the starion, so fitting the gearbox up wouldn't work.... unless of course the n/a narrow block gearbox fits straight into the starion but not sure on that.
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
cheaterparts
I love starions

Re: N/A Starion?

Post by cheaterparts »

Hendrix69 wrote:
The main thing I want to know is whether it is possible (apart from being sacreligeous) to fit an NA motor easily into a Starion. I think the Galants came with a N/A version of the 4g63, and was hoping something like that could just be bolted up with no real mods or hard work.
the question to you is why ??
keep in mind that a starion is quite a heavy car and going back to n/a would be counter productive

if your heart is set on going n/a I think would look at using a 4g54 from a sigma/scorpion in a wide block they will bolt straight on to the staz gear box
and a set of sigma engine mounts will bolt to the cross member
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
Hendrix69
Newcomer

Post by Hendrix69 »

Hmm. Things, unfortunately, are rarely simple. The Sigma idea might be a good one. Would I have to get custom parts or mess with the firewall like you have to putting in a VR4 engine.

I'd love to have a turbo in it, but there are a number of reasons I want to go NA, mostly being insurance, fuel costs and that my girlfriend's on her P's, so can't drive a turbo. The motor in the one I'm looking at is buggered anyway, so I thought it might be a good opportunity.

Thanks for the feedback guys. Keep it coming if you can think of anything
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

did someone say N/A v6 ??? :o
redzone
racking my brains

Re: N/A Starion?

Post by redzone »

Hendrix69 wrote:Hi everyone
I'm tempted to buy a JA Starion, but don't really know too much about them and have a few questions, so I figured what better place than here to get some answers :)

The main thing I want to know is whether it is possible (apart from being sacreligeous) to fit an NA motor easily into a Starion. I think the Galants came with a N/A version of the 4g63, and was hoping something like that could just be bolted up with no real mods or hard work. Might be dreaming though, I don't know...

My other main question is how expensive/hard to get Starion parts are? I have a feeling that if something breaks I won't be able to wander down to the local wreckers and pick up Starion bits :x Although being a Japanese car from the '80's, it'll probably never break anyway :)

Cheers for putting up with my noob questions
PS. Awesome forum. It would almost be worth buying one just to hang out here :beer
parts are easy to get if u are a member on here, myself and a few others wreck them so parts are only a day or 2 away at worst. i usually have 2 being dismantled at any one time and i also have a large quantity already pulled from 10+ cars. new small parts like steering joints, bushes, filters, etc are easy to get as long as your local parts shop knows what a starion is (and not a "starwagon" or heaven forbid, "cordia")

if u want a N/A starion get an engine from an express van (choose one that has a wide bellhousing bolt pattern - search this forum for info)

unlike our kiwi cuzzy bro's we never got rwd galants here..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Hendrix69
Newcomer

Post by Hendrix69 »

Awesome. So that will just bolt in?
Cheers Redzone. It must be a sad job tearing Starions apart :cry:
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

i never wreck a saveable one. always look for rusted or bent. have saved a few good ones.. only time i cry is when i cut my finger on a rusty guard bottom LOL

nothing is ever a bolt in, even the easiest swaps are a pain sometimes. but if u get a van wideblock motor ur on the right track...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

redzone wrote: nothing is ever a bolt in, even the easiest swaps are a pain sometimes. but if u get a van wideblock motor ur on the right track...
nothing is ever a bolt in, even the easiest swaps are a pain sometimes. Yep ! have to agree
and I hadn't thought of a van motor I would still run with a 2.6 for the extra torque in n/a speck
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car
Nosaki Faki
I like starions

Post by Nosaki Faki »

YEP, I would go 2.6.
Out of interest what would need to be done with the injection?
If at first you don't succeed, maybe skydiving just wasn't your sport!
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Magna mpi would be the go i would say.
ProZac
G33Kz0r

Post by ProZac »

Fuck no! 2.4 motor, twin cam, screaming at 8000rpm through twin side-draughts..... Hmmmmmmmm, hot.
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Na motorbike carbs!
cheaterparts
I love starions

Post by cheaterparts »

www.18u wrote:Magna mpi would be the go i would say.
for the street magna efi is both good and easy to do
ProZac wrote:Fuck no! 2.4 motor, twin cam, screaming at 8000rpm through twin side-draughts..... Hmmmmmmmm, hot.
for the track a 2.6 n/a is fine to twin side drafts are ok 45s are a bit small though ( I still use them ) they do run out of breath even with 41 mm chokes
50 mm quads should be better I tell you soon as mine are almost ready
the 2.6 will still be rev limited to 7500
bigd wrote:Na motorbike carbs!
or M/C quads
cheater

2.6 sigma IPRA spec

projects
E21 323 JPS bimmer
type 7 clone sports car