Wont drive under boost

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Starion_Kid696
[P] Plater austaz

Wont drive under boost

Post by Starion_Kid696 »

Hey i have a strange problem that i cant seem to solve myself. My starion wont drive under boost. it is an 82 ja which has been converted to MPI and runs a motec. (more info available in my build up) One day i went to drive my car and still walming it up (not pushing it hard at all) then i started to boost it a bit and the engien woudl just cough and splutter and wouldn't rev and higher... clutch in (or in neutral) and the engien revs freely and fine but as soon as its under load it wont operate normally.

so far ive done:
replaced every vacumm hose in the engine bay
replaced the coil pack with a accel electronic coil
replaced the plug leads with 8.8mm leads
cleaned out the pod filter
cleaned out the fuel rail
cleaned out and tested the injectors
tested the fuel regulator.. but not entirely sure if its working 100%
installed a fuel pressure guage in the engine bay to measure fuel pressure but havent been able to test it yet
removed the map sensor and try take it for a drive... didnt do anything
removed the dizzy to adjust the timing as it was out... but i dunno the correct timing its supposed to have, can any one help me out?? at the moment the marks on the gear and the shaft line up and plug lead 1 is at 7.30.

the engine starts, idles a bit rough but revs fine once past 2000rpm
i marked the timing mark on the crank pulley and marked the TDC mark on the timing belt cover and used a timing light but it appears its timed too early. anyone know the correct timing for a starion?? liek diagrams instructions pictures???

after all the the car still wont drive under boost, i priced up a 3 bar map sensor made by GM today but dont want to buy it unless it will fix the problem as 1st year apprentice wages suck. any one got any ideas??
silo
Enthusiast

Post by silo »

Check intercooler/turbo pipes!
Check that fuel pressure is constant (Starion pumps are known for intermittently dropping pressure from faulty impeller blades)

Silas
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Can you get someone to log onto the motec? I think it will tell you more of whats happening than just replacing stuff. It sounds like a tps but again the motec will tell more than us just guessing.
Starion_Kid696
[P] Plater austaz

Post by Starion_Kid696 »

ive checked all the intake pipes ... everythings tight and secure. checked the fuel pressure and it seems fine. Im getting a cable to log into the motec tomorro arvo so will check that then. Dad took the car for a drive when it was cold and it went fine but once it walmed up it coughed and spluttered again and blue smoke was comming from around the exaust manifold (two of the studs on the block holding the exaust manifold are snapped) it might be that when the engine walms up oil gets into the burning chamber therefore making it cough and splutter???

any other ideas/solutions??
tri26t
I love starions

Post by tri26t »

Does it actually make boost ?????????
exhaust manifold leak needs fixing first.

I have had this when the BOV spring on 1 of my cars
lost too much tension.

inlet manifold leaks definately cause this.

But Im gonna go with the TPS moving and/or
air correction circut staying open after the motor
has come up to temp`

but the first thing is to make sure the mechanical timing is right.
Cheers:Phil.
TORQUES-CHEAP.