diff gears ?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Mr Ralliart wrote:I was generalizing . Group A was not just Touring cars in Aust , it was a Touring and Rally Formula in many countries .
There were many gear sets made .
Your generalisation sounds pretty specific. FYI it's essentially the same regs for group A in rally or circuit and it doesn't matter what country, gear ratios were not free, you had to use the homologated ratios.

As far as Starions go there were not that many groupA close ratio gearsets made either. I don't know how many option boxes Mitsubishi built with the helical gearset, but I do know Xtrac in the UK only made 6 complete straight cut boxes plus spares, and Coltspeed in Sydney converted 2 Mitsubishi boxes to use the spare xtrac gearsets, one for the ralliart aust rally car and one for the Coltspeed touring car. All gearboxes used the same ratios. Diff ratios you had choices with, but again only homologated ratios, ie 3.3 3.5 3.9 4.2 4.6 and that was it.
Mr Ralliart
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Mr Ralliart »

That's what I was talking about , DIFF ratios .

The guy who converted the Mitsubishi boxes for Ralliart in the 80's is local here on the Gold Coast and he did a lot more than two gearbox conversions by the way .
And Ralliart certainly ran more than one Group A car , they ran several in Touring and Rally .
I also find it hard to believe that X-Trac only made 6 gearboxes as that would only be enough to supply the 4WD Group B cars .

Don't believe everything ColtSpeed tells you :wink:
マンコ ハンター。
Maximum Gains from Minimum Mods.
Starion Evolution . Lancer Evolution .

flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

You said "with custom gearsets to suit the Starion gearbox and diff." Which is wrong and why I corrected you. Because I'm sure people are aware there is not a heap of close ratio starion gearboxes or custom diff ratios floating around for sale.

The date on the Xtrac main shaft drawing in my hand right now is from 9/6/1987 with updates in early 1988. That was way after groupB and nearly at the end of factory involvement with the starion anyway. The 6 gearbox thing was direct word from Xtrac. Argue with them.

The xtrac boxes were built for the touring cars initially, not anything else. The xtrac parts need a doner option gearbox. George Shepherd was running the touring cars for a short while in Qld which is about the same time the xtrac gearset came about. So somebody in Qld putting xtrac gearsets in makes sense.

Ralliart Australia (as in Sydney) ran the rally cars, and the ralliart rally car I'm talking about was Dunkertons car which was sold to Craig Stallard and painted yellow. He bought that car direct from ralliart, it had the Mitsubishi close ratio option box when he bought it. Coltspeed (as in my Father) put the xtrac gearset in that gearbox. And considering I've used that gearbox, know who bought it off Craig, know who it was sold to after and even drove the car it went into a few times I think I know pretty well the xtrac gears were put into that one.

Which fairytale do you get your info from anyway?
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

way off topic now.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

getting back on topic, would it be expensive to have gears made?
G6E Falcon Turbo (stock)
XJ Jeep Cherokee (5" lift, muddies, lockers etc)
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

ooooooooooooooooooooooooh yeah.
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Mr Ralliart
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by Mr Ralliart »

flappa wrote:You said "with custom gearsets to suit the Starion gearbox and diff." Which is wrong and why I corrected you. Because I'm sure people are aware there is not a heap of close ratio starion gearboxes or custom diff ratios floating around for sale.

The date on the Xtrac main shaft drawing in my hand right now is from 9/6/1987 with updates in early 1988. That was way after groupB and nearly at the end of factory involvement with the starion anyway. The 6 gearbox thing was direct word from Xtrac. Argue with them.

The xtrac boxes were built for the touring cars initially, not anything else. The xtrac parts need a doner option gearbox. George Shepherd was running the touring cars for a short while in Qld which is about the same time the xtrac gearset came about. So somebody in Qld putting xtrac gearsets in makes sense.

Ralliart Australia (as in Sydney) ran the rally cars, and the ralliart rally car I'm talking about was Dunkertons car which was sold to Craig Stallard and painted yellow. He bought that car direct from ralliart, it had the Mitsubishi close ratio option box when he bought it. Coltspeed (as in my Father) put the xtrac gearset in that gearbox. And considering I've used that gearbox, know who bought it off Craig, know who it was sold to after and even drove the car it went into a few times I think I know pretty well the xtrac gears were put into that one.

Which fairytale do you get your info from anyway?
When are you guys down there going to get over this attitude of 'if we haven't done it / don't have it then it doesn't exist :roll:

I get my information from Ralliart Europe , Ralliart Japan , Mitsubishi Archives , Andrew Cowan , and Kenjiro Shinozuka as well as tuning shops and Engineers who have direct experience and a huge amount of material I've collected over the last 15 years or so .
You are the one who's taken it this way mate .

For your information CUSCO in Japan made quite an extensive list of driveline parts for Starions , and I have information directly from Mitsubishi describing XTRAC parts used on the Group B cars and even the early Pajeros.

Also if you would take the time to properly read posts before getting on your soapbox , you would have perhaps gathered that this thread is about trying different gearing for the Starion . As discussed here and elsewhere on the forum , Gearboxes and diffs from other Mitsubishis and also other makes eg. Mazda , can be successfully transplanted into a Starion . This is basically what I was talking about in relation to custom gearsets .As well as the possibility of getting something made which is not that expensive ( relatively) as I've also looked into that in the past .

Get over it.
マンコ ハンター。
Maximum Gains from Minimum Mods.
Starion Evolution . Lancer Evolution .

flappa
Lancer is the answer

Post by flappa »

Mr Ralliart wrote: I get my information from ...
So you'd be aware that when Pentti was running the MRE car in the BRC in about 1988 was when an Xtrac box first went into that car? Ask Andrew, I'm sure he would remember.
Mr Ralliart wrote: For your information CUSCO in Japan made quite an extensive list of driveline parts for Starions ,
And as I said earlier, to be used in group A they had to have the same homologated ratios as the Mitsubishi option box or if you are still talking about DIFFS then they need to be one of the homologated ratios, which are the same ratios as avaliable in the commercial range. There is no "custom" ratios in groupA as you said there was.
Mr Ralliart wrote: and I have information directly from Mitsubishi describing XTRAC parts used on the Group B cars...
You're now talking about a completely different category, and one which the car was never fully homologated for anyway. You know xtrac as a company only started in business in 1984? A year after the PROTOTYPE group B car ran it's first event. I'd like to see that information you have, PM me.
Mr Ralliart wrote: .. you would have perhaps gathered that this thread is about trying different gearing for the Starion. ... This is basically what I was talking about in relation to custom gearsets.
I am well aware what the thread is about, the issue I have is where you said:
I ran 4.6 's in mine for a while and it was awesome down low to mid range , like my Evo . But the very low 5th gear in the Starion gearbox meant that it ran out of puff way too early so I went back to the 3.5's . But if I fittted a tall ratio gearbox it would be perfect .
Group A cars ran a similar setup ( but with custom gearsets to suit the Starion gearbox and diff ) .
and if you bothered to read my reply to that post you would realise I was just correcting your inaccurate info about group A. I also went on to list the available diff ratios avaliable to starions in group A, which as an earlier post already mentioned are availiable for the large sized diff from the Mitsu commercial range. Maybe you should read your own posts a little more carefully.

I'm way over it, but I'd still like to see that info you've got.
plasticdash
I like starions more

Post by plasticdash »

If you need to have a cry over who is right, please PM each other and not spam this thread with off topic stuff.