Bogs down when warm

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
silvastazza
[P] Plates

Bogs down when warm

Post by silvastazza »

Hey everyone,
I'm having a few more problems with the staz. :x Once the car gets warm, if i try to accelerate any more then about 1/4 of the pedal travel the car just bogs down and loses all power. When the car is cold it doesn't do it. I've replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter and the alternator trying to fix this problem, all have helped a bit but not much. From what i've read and been told i'm thinking it could be the ignitor or the temp sensor?? Any ideas would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
Matt
logik
I love starions

Post by logik »

sounds like the car is running rich

i absolutely hate this problem and i have done pretty much the same thing that you have until i paid for a dyno/airfuel run and found out the problem.

my old starion used to accelerate quicker at 3/4 throttle than WOT.

perhaps your ignition is too far retarded? you might be on the money with the temp sensor as your car might still think its cold when in fact it is actually warm.

just my 2c
gordonspec® racing
silvastazza
[P] Plates

Post by silvastazza »

OK i've just discovered that once the car is warm it doesn't bog down because of how much throttle your giving it, it's whenever it tries to come on boost, but when cold it boosts perfectly. Also when its warm and start to play up the radio starts cutting out when im brakin or got my lights on or something that draws power and the engine isn't revving (could this be connected to the problem??)... This is shit.
Chryzla
Princess

Post by Chryzla »

id be taking it to a mechanic for a quote to see what the hell is going on.

best way if you cant diagnose it yourself. save you alot in the long run.
1983 JA Staz
silvastazza
[P] Plates

Post by silvastazza »

It looks like i just fixed it, faulty map sensor. :D :D :D If you can't tell im very happy. The car has never gone so good, now i just gotta redo some seals in the replacement map sensor so the boost gauge works and all will be sweet!
:beer
Matt
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I ALWAYS THOUGHT IT WAS THAT. AND FINALLY, IT HAS BEEN FOUND. I thought also Flav suggested that. Don't you love it when your problems are solved.
silvastazza
[P] Plates

Post by silvastazza »

Yeah a big thanks to Woody and flav!! Because of flav's suggestions i also found some other things that were wrong which are now fixed. :wtf: Changing the map sensor has made such a difference, the car is faster then it has ever been!
Crazy
Newcomer

Post by Crazy »

Got the same problem..Except with a DASH which doesnt have map sensor.Any ideas?