Wide body and narrow body springs

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

JAS wrote:
WidebodyWoody wrote:how much do these springs cost? I might get a couple sets
I only paid $325 for the set. But thats a Trade price. RRP is $540 where I got them from. Got to love the trade discount :beer

Thats rich for a set of springs, kings are only about 230 - 250 for complete set, mind you I doubt they are as good. Are the dobinsons progressive or linear?

1" drop over saggy stock springs probably equates to a 2" drop over origional stock, my fronts height didn't change when I installed lowered kings as they were saggy, it may have actually lifted a few mm.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I paid $270 through Whiteline but that was 3 years ago
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Starion_Turbo wrote:
Thats rich for a set of springs, kings are only about 230 - 250 for complete set, mind you I doubt they are as good. Are the dobinsons progressive or linear?

1" drop over saggy stock springs probably equates to a 2" drop over origional stock, my fronts height didn't change when I installed lowered kings as they were saggy, it may have actually lifted a few mm.
They are progressive. nice and firm too :D
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Heres a pic :)

Show Image: Image
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Damn that looks good! :drool:
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

JAS wrote: They are progressive. nice and firm too :D
Have you ever had king springs? comparison?

I find kings a bit bouncy / soft on top, too comfortable for my liking I feel the stockers were firmer than the start of the progressives.

The king spring fronts for starion are also a sigma front so likley arn't a performance handling design.

I'd like to hear from someone who has tried both.

I currently have GR2 shocks, HD swaybars selby's 24mm front and whiteline 21mm rear and king springs progressives lowered.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

The dobinsons are made for a sigma aswell. I believe Kitt had a set at one stage but he was told they were not for his car so he tossed them out :shock:

Jas your widey looks awesome and i hope someday i can make mine look as good as yours.Keep up the good work :pimp
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

www.18u wrote: Jas your widey looks awesome and i hope someday i can make mine look as good as yours.Keep up the good work :pimp
Thanks man :)

Ive had Kings before and they didnt seem much stiffer than my factory springs. I havent driven on these much yet so will have a better idea about them on Friday when I drive it to the show.
Its in the South Island 4 and rota Champs this year. First time Ive ever put a car into a show like that, so will be very interesting. :?
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

www.18u wrote:The dobinsons are made for a sigma aswell. I believe Kitt had a set at one stage but he was told they were not for his car so he tossed them out :shock:

Jas your widey looks awesome and i hope someday i can make mine look as good as yours.Keep up the good work :pimp
yep those dobinsons that garry had were definitely not gonna fit a starion.. wrong diameter...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

JAS wrote:
Ive had Kings before and they didnt seem much stiffer than my factory springs. I havent driven on these much yet so will have a better idea about them on Friday when I drive it to the show.

I look foward to a comparison then :P, keep posted plz
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Ok...
Took her for a run, but got some tyre rub at the back...so am going to get the guards rolled a little. Wont take much. But on driving the car they felt the same stiffness as the factory springs. Will see what its like once I can push it around corners with out groving the side walls of my expencive tyres :shock:
Heres a better pic of her before I went to the show
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

Holy shit those rims are wide - any chance of a few other pics from different angles eg rear end rear quarter etc
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Here you go :D
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks

ImageImage
groupAralliart
BATHURST LEGEND 07

Post by groupAralliart »

shit this thing just looks better the longer I look at it. I want mine NOW!!

I would love to see it in the flesh. I am busting to order my new rims for mine but haven't had the time to measure them up. The more I see this the wider I want to go.

How does it steer in a straight line? Does it tram track at all?

I was thinking 10" rear and 9" front but might make a step up to 10 1/2" rear and 9 1/2" fronts with offset so the outside lip of the rim just sits below guard edge. I will have to find a widey and measure it up this week (mine has the engine out and suspension sits too high, I would rather measure up with the weight on the suspension).

Do you mind recapping, as I am sure some where else you have told the story, of where you picked it up and how you found it.

Thanks Steve
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

steve i'd be very reluctant to go bigger than 9's in front, my widey still had charlie's 18's on it when i first drove it down sydney, and it tram tracked with 9's.....
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au