airflow meter question

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
rodney007
I love starions

airflow meter question

Post by rodney007 »

hmmn, disconnected my a/f cable and removed airbox, turbo was open, decided to turn it on to just see if it would run with no a/f meter, and yep it sure did, i put another intake on with a pod filter, and ran mint,

then i repluged it when car was on and did nothing, ran the car and goes fine

why my car runs with no airflow meter?

..82 gsr 3
Starion EVO
Lil' Dorifto

Post by Starion EVO »

Some Starions actually run better without the air flow meter. These engines are individuals and they seem to react slightly different on the same modifications.

If the ECU does not get the air flow signal it is still able to send signals to the ignition and injectors from the other sensors, that is; rpm, throttel, boost, temp etc.

The Starion engine management system is very old and simple, the control strategy is not so complicated as the more modern systems. So I would say that your engine is acting normal.
BMW 750 Twin turbo -88
Starion 4G63T -86
BMW 750 V12 -96
BMW 525i -91
benny
I love starions

Post by benny »

my staz runs without afm on stock computer.. one warning though if your map sensor is dodgy expect it to die for no apparent reason and when you start it, it will maybe idle but any throttle it will die.

tapping the map sensor has saved me a couple of times.. lol
rodney007
I love starions

Post by rodney007 »

mine runs suberbly with none, now intakes free'd up too, easy breathing,,