1st gear is gutt-les?

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
rodney007
I love starions

1st gear is gutt-les?

Post by rodney007 »

i didnt really notice before but first gear doesnt boost, and its like you can hear the fan really loud, second gear kinda boosts, like 2 psi,

then 3 4 5 are nice and boost around 5psi.. is this normal?
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Stock boost is 7-8psi and happens typically just after 3000rpm depending on setup
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Sounds like you have a bit of a problem there. You will never get heaps of go out of first gear, it revs up way too fast. But what you are describing sounds like your gate opens way too early.
bigd
Enthusiast

Post by bigd »

Like woody said your prob could be with the wastegate or more likely the actuator. Try and move the actuator arm by hand - it should be hard to move and should pop back straight away. If you can move it easily the actuator is probably foobarred and you'll need to get a new one. Some of the arms have adjustment on them that you can screw back.
If your game you could test it by taking the actuator arm off the wastgate linkage and wire the link shut so it can't open. Then VERY CAREFULLY take it for a spin and see if you get more boost. DON'T drive around with the wastgate wired shut! Good luck.
rodney007
I love starions

j

Post by rodney007 »

fixed*,
blow off valve screw came loose , blow off valve piston was opening on throttle dumping air, runs fine now,
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yep that would do it for sure. Glad its fixed.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

haha, this happened to me once as well. i thought that i had f'd something for sure, but got home and found the blow off valve had come off, rofl . felt stupid after
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yeah I had a similar problem once, very obvious though. I was driving along trying to go hard after I just replaced the gasket between the turbo and manifold. Little did I know the grub screw fell out of the boost controller when I was driving. Anyways, I boosted her in 2nd gear, it hit close to 30psi on a GT35 Turbo. I had never felt that kind of power on her before, and then BOOM. All I could say was F$&%. I pulled over because I had NO power now. Popped the bonnet, and Valhalla, the intercooler piping had come off. And the BOOM was the air escaping and the piping hitting the bonnet. I shit myself, but it was such a simple problem.
TomVR4
I love starions

Post by TomVR4 »

ha ha, the exact same thing happened on my mates r33 skyline. we put an intercooler kit on it and forgot to hook the vacuum line up to the wastegate. boosted it down the street and and bang, ding ding ding. one of the brand new intercooler pipes popped off from overboosting and was bouncing down the street. an old lady came out and picked it up and said "was that supposed to happen?".. smart arse. was funny shit.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

HAHAHAH Old ladys are so funny.