4WD Conversion

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
dave b
[L] Plates

Post by dave b »

most of ya 4x4s r east west (transverse)mounted engines.steering rack on the bulk head,front axles just behind ya engine.they have a very small independent type looking diff on the bottom of the g'box tak'n drive to your rear.subaru iz north south but the engines r so short ,if ya mounted one in a star'y ,you would need a six foot bonnet.depends f you want 2 cross breed or not
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Ill crossbreed my Staz with anything except the engine.

Way I figure it, is if I had to use a Carib setup, its no different from having a custom one made.
1997 Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution IV 4G63BT
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
dave b
[L] Plates

Post by dave b »

an other idea iz have alook at a vr4 front diffy thing they would be strong enough & small.cramming it all in your front ends the biggey.dry engine sump could be another look

SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

VR4 front diff takes the power from the engine mounted gearbox vertically (so I beleive), due to the east/west engine setup, same as a FWD, since we're keeping the engine north/south we need a front 4WD setup from a car that is of similar sizes.

L200 seems to be the best bet for scrap bits. Would be interesting to see if an upgraded internals gearbox would be more suited than the Pajero. I say this because the L200 has that sexy 'RWD or 4WD' lever :D mmm more levers
1996 Nissan Maxima VQ30DE (for sale, suit someone who likes the feel of boats when driving)
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

errrr, i think you will find the 4wd back cover of the l200 bolts straight onto the staz gearbox.... i think.
I figured out the meaning of life, and since then every day just gets worse.

Warranty void if stupid.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

If that is true scum, then I will require new underpants when I blow

Because that would let me select Low or High ratio sets, as well as RWD and 4WD.

That second gear lever in the L200 has four positions, RWD Low, RWD High, 4WD Low, 4WD High.
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

i know, thats what i worked out when i found one at the wreckers. i didnt have any spare new underpants there..... messy :oops:

Warranty void if stupid.
dave b
[L] Plates

fr diff

Post by dave b »

what I was say'n about vr4 diffs was you need an independent diff centre for the front .the thinggy on the vr4 g'box that takes fr >rwd drive could be a better & smaller unit than l200 or pajero.the tail shaft length of a star'y box is definitly longer than a 4x4 box ,but if you get the right box star'y internals should swap ova.
I shouldn't put my name 2 it but a mate used 2 think an eaisy way 2 do a 4x4 was mount 2 independent diff heads in the rear .drive 2 one from your drive tran & out of the other one forward 2 your front diff.PRESSTO NO TRANSFER BOX.im sorry but but some of us are a bit sick when it comes to silly mods.good luck
scum
I'm Banned!

Post by scum »

l200 'n shit don 'ave diffs in middle, there 50/50 split. and the one on my 4WD gallant transfers the drive 90deg, so that wont work. you could use any kind of clutchpack LSD center, make a housing for it and have the right splines put on your shafts. (you wont need the crown or anything, just the center itself)

Warranty void if stupid.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

Yep scum is right.

Also I think you'll find (regarding drive shaft length), the Starion one wont fit, however the L200 probably will.

Thing is with an L200, is that people have been known to put DASH Starion motors in them, and seem to have little trouble. So I imagine you may find everything almost fits in to place, with just a few annoying problems regarding the Starion chassis.

Don't forget to upgrade the L200 internals though, they wont last long. Depending on how you drive of course.

Would be crazy seeing a Staz with twin shift.

I cancelled the sale of the Galant, means I can keep a runabout, then once I find a new job, Ill start pulling bits out, get an L200 wreck, and have a play.
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

getting the 4WD parts to begin with doesn't look terribly expensive:

http://www.loot.co.nz/Navigation/AdList ... =undefined

It appears the model needed came out in 1983 the 4WD 2.0L
Defective
Enthusiast

Post by Defective »

SpidersWeb wrote:Also Kempy's in Auckland made a V8 4WD Cordia, not Starion unfortunately, however they seem to do some wacky stuff, so I may contact them anyway :)

actually they built both, starion was first then they built the cordia......
oz, here i come....
SpidersWeb
postwhore!

Post by SpidersWeb »

OH!

Will send them a message!