Car not turning off

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Car not turning off

Post by www.18u »

Ok i struck my first problem with the new car.I noticed that the alternator plug was disconnected so i pluged it back in and went to check the voltage at the battery and found no change at 12.41 volts.I then went to turn the car off and found that it kept running so i unplugged the plug on the alternator again and the car stopped! :? I had a spare alternator and have changed this but i also changed the water pump at the same time so i can't test until tomorrow once i put the timing belt back on if this has fixed this but i think this is highly unlikely.Any Ideas guys :beer
spinners
I like starions

Post by spinners »

I had the same problem with my starion-woulnt turn off.I couldnt figure it out so i made a kill switch between the coil.Long story short i found out that those two wires off the back of the alternator were around the wrong way :? Hope this helps :D
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Had this same problem aswell, was caused by a back emf off the alternator. Putting a diode inline with one of those two cables solved the problem, sorry I can't remember which.
decoy
Let Me Out!

Post by decoy »

Junkers wrote:Had this same problem aswell, was caused by a back emf off the alternator. Putting a diode inline with one of those two cables solved the problem, sorry I can't remember which.
same with mine... i don't remember which line either!
_

Post by filiboy »

you have to see the electrical diagram and connect properly the instalation to the alternator, I had the same problem but managed to fix it 10x to the electrical diagram in this site :beer
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

I have just been looking at that diagram but im not all that electrically minded.From what i can understand there is a wire coming off the ignition switch back to the fuse block and then to the alternator.If there was a short in this then would this explain why it is still running.Also is the other wire coming off the alternator in the drawing the charge circuit which goes to the fuseable link? Thanks again for the imput. :beer
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Car turns off and on now by the key since the alternator was changed i just have to check that its charging but its a step in the right direction. :D
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

yes JA and JB alternator wiring is different :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au