Rear lights no good UPDATED still no good

All technical questions and answers regarding starions, being modifications to maintenance.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Rear lights no good UPDATED still no good

Post by Lunacy »

Right was about to go for the warrant check on my blue car, and was having quick check of lights. Realised i have no brake lights, or no rear lights.
Indicators work fine, hazards are fine.
With park lights on i have rear lights but not with headlights on.
Fuses inside car all ok.
Any ideas, really need to get her on the road.
Oh yeah and could find no 12v at the drivers light plug at all.
Please help!!!!
Last edited by Lunacy on Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Junkers
Formerly StazzyBabyYeah

Post by Junkers »

Do your gauge cluster lights work at all? they share the same fuse so could be related.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Hey I had a similar problem and what it was that the metal where the light bulb and earth went in was corroded in the light unit itself. Got some sand peper on to it and perfectly fine now :)
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Junkers wrote:Do your gauge cluster lights work at all? they share the same fuse so could be related.
its digital dash and all seems to be working ok.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

FST4RD wrote:Hey I had a similar problem and what it was that the metal where the light bulb and earth went in was corroded in the light unit itself. Got some sand peper on to it and perfectly fine now :)
Did it cause you to lose both brake and tail lights? Il check 2mo but pretty sure they were ok :?
Starion_Turbo
Enthusiast king

Post by Starion_Turbo »

Relay box next to battery, I had my tail lights and headlights play up once and thats were I went.
Powerplant: Chipped stock ECU, 2044cc, 8.5:1, head intake enlarged and polished, exhaust manifold enlarged,
Balance-shafts eliminated, Intercooled, TC06 @ 10psi, 2.5" high flow exhaust system and dump pipe.
FST4RD
almost postwhore

Post by FST4RD »

Yeah and I had no idea until I went for a warrent and they said that I had no tail lights :oops:
So took out the light holder thingee and attacked it with sand paper to clean up the contacts and sweet as now (well just got another WOF)

But also one of the driving lights on the front stopped working and the same thing, cleaned it up and all good now :beer
Sold - 1987 Mitsubishi Starion GSR V DASH
Current - 1995 Subaru Legacy TT SW
- 1983 Mitsubishi Starion
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Right update time.
I still have no brake or tail lights (unless i have park lights on, then tails are on)
I have checked the relays next to the battery for both head and tails, and they both work in the headlight one so its not that.
I have changed the right hand side switches of the gauge cluster for another set, and cleaned up the contacts on them but still nothing.
I am now blowing the "Tail Clearance" fuse in the fusebox in the car.
I also cleaned up the contacts on the light bulb holders themselves, but dont think its that as im getting tail lights when my park lights are on.
Im going to check the switch on the brake pedal now but if its not that man im lost :?
Any more ideas appreciated
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Just in case anyones interested ive fixed the brake lights yay!!!! Ended up being the switch on the brake pedal, the wires were exposed and shorting i think. Replaced the wiring and brake lights all good
Now just the tail light problem while i have my headlights on :? Dam Tail Clearance fuse keeps blowing so thinking must be a short here somewhere too but where????
Alspos
Flucking kwankers

Post by Alspos »

Good to hear it was an easy fix.

Best of luck finding the other gremiln. Let us know the fix when you find it, I'm sure we're all writing them down for later reference.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Grrr this is starting to ass me off now. So far today ive:
Cleaned up every earth round the engine bay relays and fusible links
Cleaned up all the earths round the tail lights
Checked behind the in car fuses for any damaged wires

And its stil just blowing the tail clearance fuse straight away :? :?
Am i really going to have to pull the dash and the whole interior out to trace the wires to find the short?
Oh and as im working off the European wiring diagram does anyone have a copy of the Jap one they could send me in case they're different.

Cheers guys, as always any and all help appreciated
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

The whole time you've been talking "Tail Clearance" fuse I've been going :wtf: ?

Is it taillights or something else?

Do the taillights come on and then when you turn the headlights on it blows the taillight fuse?

If so, check your wattage of your H4 globes. The wiring can only handle 55/60W unless relays are installed...

Didn't think these circuits were related...though they may become so if the RHS switch harness has melted/poor connections where it joins the loom under the steering wheel...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

enthuzed wrote:The whole time you've been talking "Tail Clearance" fuse I've been going :wtf: ?

Is it taillights or something else?

Do the taillights come on and then when you turn the headlights on it blows the taillight fuse?

If so, check your wattage of your H4 globes. The wiring can only handle 55/60W unless relays are installed...

Didn't think these circuits were related...though they may become so if the RHS switch harness has melted/poor connections where it joins the loom under the steering wheel...
Haha tail clearance fuse ive got no idea on what it does, but assuming its the tail lights as it only blows when i turn the headlights on.
The headlights come on when i press the top right button, and the fuse just goes pop.
Are H4 globes the headlight ones?
Yeah if i cant figure something else soon the dash and interior is coming out on my next 2 weeks at home and im tracing each and all of the wires.
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Lunacy wrote:Haha tail clearance fuse ive got no idea on what it does, but assuming its the tail lights as it only blows when i turn the headlights on.
The headlights come on when i press the top right button, and the fuse just goes pop.
Are H4 globes the headlight ones?
Yeah if i cant figure something else soon the dash and interior is coming out on my next 2 weeks at home and im tracing each and all of the wires.
I'll help make this a bit clearer...
Head and tail circuits are usually separate, check wiring harness where the indicator/wiper switch goes in the dashloom, you got some issues there most likely if it's shorting between them.

If you've got another ind/wiper switch that you know is good, swap it in to eliminate the switch. Just go with me on this one, remember it is powered for the headlights for main and high beams...

Yes, H4 are the halogen globes used in the front - wrong size with standard wiring will give you issues in this same switch and it's harness...
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
Lunacy
nearly postwhore

Post by Lunacy »

Right someone on another forum randomly suggested something which turned out to be it!!!! Id inadvertently hooked up the stereo earth wire to the standard stereo dimmer wire, which in turn was shorting out the tail light fuse :D :D
So took it in for the warrant of fitness and it passed on everything bar reverse lights which i hadnt even checked. But thats all good cos should be an easy sort so its :D :D :D right now as i mite finally have a starion on the road!!!!!