Exhaust manifolds

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
MR Bender
Enthusiast king

Post by MR Bender »

Adriano wrote:I would be making an adapter plate between the head and the manifold, those manifolds crack bad enough as it is, i cant see welding it being overly successful or cheap.

Have you ever tried welding a exhaust manifold?

If it is welded right it will be as good as a stock one!

An Adapter plate will work as well but its just one more place for the exhaust to leak from.

I have used both and the best one was the welded one, simply because it fits on with one set of bolts and one gasket.

When i was running the adapter it always leaked no matter how i tried to fix it.
Bite my shiny metal ass!!!

Russell Coight: Some of the animals are nocturnal, so the best time to see them is at night. Only you can't see them, because it's dark.
T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

Hi all, I'm in contact with a guy called mike tanski, and he runs a company called ferriday engineering. He's a well known guy that makes adaptor plates for diffrent types of fords. I recently got in contact with him to see if he could make an adaptor plate for my situation. After some coming and going and lots of email back and forth we have came up with a design that will enable me to use the evo 3 manifold upside down. It will be a few days before i recive the finished product but when I do I will post up the results on whitter it leaks or any problems I encounter using the adaptor plate.

T-man
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

machine an o-ring groove in the manifold and adapter faces :)
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
JAS
Enthusiast king

Post by JAS »

Any updates on this?
I would have thought that the turbo would sit to high on an up-turned manifold...
1984 Sigma Super, Turbo Wagon
1990 GSR-VR 50,000ks
1984 GSR II 4G63 302kw atw at 24psi

http://www.facebook.com/marvinmartiannz

ImageImage
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I too am interested in this. I am close to just buying one of those ebay manifolds and giving it a go. Its dirt cheap and if it does end up cracking, atleast I would have the car setup and tuned before that happens.

I don't believe the turbo would sit high, as my current turbo already sits at the same height this manifold would have it. The turbo adapter plate is level with the top of the head adapter plate on both the ebay one and the one on my car so I think it would be fine.
T-man
I like starions

Post by T-man »

widebody woody, jas im afraid i havent had time to work the car as work and my son are priority just now.However once ive got some time on my hands and have the finished artical in my hands you guys will be the first to know.

cheers,
T-man. :)
Theres only two people that can stop a run away bus, and am both of them.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

No problems mate. I am so close to buying a ebay stainless manifold and getting it modded myself. But it would be about 6-12 months before it would be actually used on a running twin cam :twisted:
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

I got a stainless of ebay, instead of cutting the tabs I cut the pipes off at the flange and had it tig welded top mount. Came up pretty good.
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

yeah I was thinking of doing the same, but my problem is I need to drill into it as well to tap in a external gate.
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

My stainless came with the external gate flange and pipe on it? $130 delivered or something? nice quality welding too.
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

I can only find these types which is the flange I need:

Maybe I should buy one of these and just change the turbo plate instead of trying to put on a dodgy external gate pipe.

Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

What flange is that? mine was a t3, pretty common I suppose. Yeah i'd probably just have a different flange tig'd on there. Easy enough job I suppose and you will still have a great manifold for under $300. Nothing 4gpwr but it will do the trick. But that is the exact same as mine.
:beer
WidebodyWoody
Woodwide

Post by WidebodyWoody »

Yeah I know it would be quite cheap in the end. My other concern was the external gate pipe is heading out towards the exhaust if you make these manifolds top mount. That doesn't leave too much room for the dump pipe does it?
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

You need to cut the gate pipe and extend it a bit yeah, plenty of room though. I think a 90 degree bend downwards from where it is.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Those ebay manifolds are 2mm wall thickness which is way too thin, they will crack after a short period of time. If u have one, you can make it last longer by bracing the dump pipe & running a flex joint just after the dump pipe brace.. And maybe a support brace to hold the weight..
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au