Who's got 'emselves a TC and is keeping very coy about it

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Who's got 'emselves a TC and is keeping very coy about it

Post by WANTSOM »

Sydney based, asks a lot of questions and has just done it the 'cheats way' and bought an existing car and had a workshop do the swap over :P

Soft - get ya hands dirty you wimp :(
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
www.18u
almost postwhore

Post by www.18u »

Yeah thrash :P I would guess by Gregs statement, your car is down at mrc then?
TOMSUN
Group buy King

Post by TOMSUN »

hmmm... thrash bought tomvr4's car.... ?

what have you heard?
1985 JB Starion #157
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

:oops:

I was trying to keep it a secret until it was finished lol.

yes yes, I did it the cheap and easy way :P But it's no without it's problems. Since I didn't get my hands dirty, there are a lot of things that I don't know abuut the car, and due to budget constraints, there are a lot of things that were done in a way i didn't like, but the mrc guys are awesome, and did a fantastic job so far.

There are some issues I have to iron out.. the interior is a bit of a mess.. the exhaust is sitting waay to low and is waay too noisy for my liking.. the tacho doesn't work.. yet.. and there are vibrations at 1900 to 2000 rpm that make the dashboard vibrate like crazy.. and the speedo needs to be corrected.

and the gearbox lever is a bit too long..

and she doesn't feel any quicker than before.. but i know she is because no one else on the road seems to be able to keep up LOL i just can't seem to tell speed when i'm in the driver's seat :S

Haven't pushed her over 4k rpm yet. Waiting to ensure that everything is ok, and get the issues sorted before iving her some stick :)
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
don't try explaining that to her tho..... just leave. lol
iXNAY
nearly postwhore

Post by iXNAY »

god i wish someone was doing my conversion some of the time! :x
SR20 powered starion what have I done..... :P
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

but i know she is because no one else on the road seems to be able to keep up

Is that a challenge, what did it make on the dyno?
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

haha no, not a challenge.. yet :P

dunno how much she makes. hasn't been on the dyno. Issues to be sorted out first so that it's reliable, and then it'll be dyno time, and perhaps a quick retune.. it doesn't like to idle cold. If all goes well she might get dynoed on friday when she's back at mrc for a bit. I hope to get as much of the other nit picky things sorted before then.
quest wrote:
WANTSOM wrote:Personally, I find sloppy boxes very unsatisfying. I like them tight and taught to the point that if you dont have to push to get it in then its probably too old and time to get a new one :P
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Cool, if i can be of any assistance over the weekend, just let me know.
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

i guess i owe it to you guys to upload a pic. It's not much to look at just yet, and it's light years away from being complete, so bear with me.

quest wrote:
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Curious, what is the rubber pipe just under the turbo intake pipe, surely not the radiator hose all the way over there?
avandull
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by avandull »

Looks like a plumb back blow off valve pipe.
Agatha the ugly Starion
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

the radiator expansion tank is currently wedged between the intercooler and oil cooler. temporary solution :(

avandull is right - that pipe is for the plumb back box.. I'm not very fond of the piping, but i don't have the time to sort it out. and my car is currently being parked on the street thanks to not having a garage, so I can't work on it either.

The coolant hose to the radiator expansion tank goes under the pipe from turbo to intercooler. I have to figure out where I want the piping, and then where I want to put the radiator overflow bottle, and go from there.

And I think I'm gonna stop driving the car until I can fix all these issues.. a bit worried I'm gonna end up doing damage to the important bits.
quest wrote:
Adriano
I've been here before

Post by Adriano »

Any updates, i think i saw you driving the other day
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

No updates yet. car is still the same.. but I'm driving it a bit more these days :) Where did you see me?

Got the qfm a1rm pads on the car. GSL Rallysport are fantastic, and apparently they keep them in the DB291 shape in stock :shock: Ordered them tuesday got them wednesday :beer

I must say, this car handles a bit weird though.. For some reason, it doesn't feel as planted as my old car, even though my old car had really horrible suspension.. This new one feels rather unpredictable.. my old one handled bad, but it was predicably bad, and I knew exactly what I could do with it. This new one is rather tail happy.. even before the twincam, with the stock motor, it didn't feel as planted.. and now with the twin cam, it's a fair bit scarier on the turns..

Will go for a proper tune and a dyno run sometime in June (hopefully, money allowing). Then will deal with steering and suspension.
quest wrote:
thrash
Austarion Occupant

Post by thrash »

oh, and I got the exhaust fixed, which is why i'm able to drive it lol.. I can actually get over speedhumps now without banging the exhaust.

The guy who did the exhaust also installed a cat in there. He reckons if it's a later model motor, it's not legal without a cat in NSW. I'll take his word for it until I speak to an engineer. He does do a lot of high performance rotaries, so he's not new :) I guess this would be one advantage of using a staz block for twin cam eh?
quest wrote: