Redzone's how to DOHC your starion block thread

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Snout length 26 vs 38mm, this is where the crank cam belt pulley goes on
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Dave just to clarify things. Does it matter if you use a SN or LN crank in a single or twin cam build as long as you have the correct pulleys??
For example if say a TC came with a SN but it is stuffed and you have a LN can it be used or MUST you find a replacement SN crank,
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
jedi
I like starions more

ok

Post by jedi »

that helps i just about bought an vr4 rod's pistons standed., and an 7 bolt crank yesterday all came together but noticed the starion crank i got an is 6 bolt so wanna stay with 6bolt so can use my lighten flywheel and clutch because i guess if i used an 7 bolt crank i would have to buy new flywheel and and clutch to match crank., rang up the local mitis dealer just to get price on new piston and rod's and crank man what a rip off better off buying aftermarket parts.
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

Just buy an Eagle Wiseco kit and you will be sweet as well as stronger & lighter
BTW the 7 bolt crank has smaller/narrower big ends BUT not sure if the mains are the same as a 6 bolt but I'm sure one of the resident gurus will be able to confirm :)
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Post by jk »

Anyone know if the eagle 6bolt 100mm stroker cranks are short or long nose?
jb - white outside maroon inside
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

jk wrote:Anyone know if the eagle 6bolt 100mm stroker cranks are short or long nose?
I have a 64 crank out of an Express cost me $150.00 +$60.00 for crack testing,checking bearing surfaces,straightness & linishing.It was perfect :D
PS have you em'd Eagle with your query or asked them if they can supply the crank you need yet ?????????
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

You can't use a sn crank with a dohc build as the dohc pulleys don't work with the short snout length..

All aftermarket cranks will be long nose, the only short nose equipped cars were early starion's & vans/utes with the 4g63 sohc
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

I'm a bit confused by this: The 64 crank from the SOHC must be a really early 6 bolt which would then suit the Starion block. Problem with it is that the snout isn't long enough for the DOHC pulleys.

The later SOHC 4G64 was also a SOHC so suffers the same issue as above. But it was also a 7 bolt crank, and from what I understand it won't fit a Starion block.

The DOHC 64 block would then always be a 7 bolt crank and therefore also won't fit the Starion block.

Being 7 bolt cranks means they've got the girdle and all...

So which specific ones works for the stroker DOHC?
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
dirtygalant
nearly postwhore

Post by dirtygalant »

I would say the later 88-92ish SOHC 8V 4G64 would have the long nose crank - if the same era SOHC 8V 4G63 has a long nose then so should the 4G64.

The SOHC 7-bolt 4G64 (1993ish onwards) is 16V with a wide cambelt (almost as wide as the DOHC engines) so also would have the long nose crank. The SOHC 16V 7-bolt in the L300/Express vans are also wideblock, and you could always modify your sump to clear the crank girdle.
ImageImage
E39A Galant VR-4 Evolution | A164A Eterna GSR | 6G72 RWD Conversion Forum
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

enthuzed wrote:I'm a bit confused by this: The 64 crank from the SOHC must be a really early 6 bolt which would then suit the Starion block. Problem with it is that the snout isn't long enough for the DOHC pulleys.

The later SOHC 4G64 was also a SOHC so suffers the same issue as above. But it was also a 7 bolt crank, and from what I understand it won't fit a Starion block.

The DOHC 64 block would then always be a 7 bolt crank and therefore also won't fit the Starion block.

Being 7 bolt cranks means they've got the girdle and all...

So which specific ones works for the stroker DOHC?
64 crank from a sohc 6 bolt are all long nose, they were well past the short nose design by then. notice how a lot of starions have chopped out the keyway in the crank? 9 times out of 10 they're a short nose..

the long nose crank sohc 6 bolt uses the crank timing pulley with the approx 10mm un-toothed section, early starions etc with the sn crank use the narrow pulley with no untoothed section..

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Cool Dave. Explanation clear. I'll double check that but maybe just start with a 64 6bolt block and crank. The squirters are a moot point because our pistons (whether factory or aftermarket) have no galleries to deal with the oil anyway.
For comparison, look at SR20 pistons. They have somewhere for the oil to go with factory ones but not at all for aftermarket. I'll find a photo to show what I mean...
How?
enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

The photo, factory piston:

How?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

they're not there to lubricate the piston, they're piston cooling jets!

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

redzone wrote:they're not there to lubricate the piston, they're piston cooling jets!
Yes, that's right. The engine builder I was talking to reckons the squirters don't really provide that much of an effect.

I'd like that theory to be proved or disproved...Mitsubishi didn't engineer it for no reason though...
How?
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Plenty of turbo motors getting around without them, they are a reliability aid though, help to stop pistons melting under extreme conditions..