my car is not DONE and probably never be!

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
Noddy
Enthusiast

Post by Noddy »

Shit Man....... whaddya go do that for?? rofl
1985 JB - owned from new.
1986 JD - used to own one.......
MrSparkle
[P] Plates

Post by MrSparkle »

Its a shame but its just not worth spending the money to finish. Cars are worth next to nothing when it comes sale time and being a starion makes it worse. In the end it came down to dollars and cents.

Tail lights were fine - i got another set if you want some. One thing i did forget was the US rear numberplate surround. Still got loads of spares so look out for another starion parts only thread in the near future.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

That's just ridiculous!!!

It's not a fucking commodore...
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.
Coxs Automotive (07)54433507 3/5 Service st Maroochydore Q

www.facebook.com/coxsautomotive
www.coxsautomotive.com.au
MrSparkle
[P] Plates

Post by MrSparkle »

Thats true, shame too because a commodore is something i would have been able to sell for a reasonable amount.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

how much do VN's go for these days? coupla hundred $$?
Fibreglass airdams $370, fibreglass front bumpers $260, reco drag links $165, alloy radiators $925 (unpolished), h/l switch rebuilds $125, all plus freight.

MrSparkle
[P] Plates

Post by MrSparkle »

More than the starion went for. :P

I can tell you are very dedicated and I didnt say/do it to stir people up but its true. I like starions i think they are very cool but we all know starions are not very sought after and if you spend a lot of time and effort on one you wont get much of it back.

Deep down I think you guys probably know it too.

Had it been a 355hp ls1 converted VN with good brakes, engine, gearbox, diff, wheels, suspension and new paint would have gotten 10k or close to it but had that starion been finished it would have cost me another 2k and i dont think ppl would have been lining up to buy it from me for 10k. Especially when Glen had it for sale for 8k for a few months and had not even one glimmer of interest.
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

I sold my old one for 12K, time cards help a sale thats all i can say. I just cant believe u junked the shell, there are plenty of people that have JA's in a lot worse nick than that one that are doing them up..

enthuzed
Austarion Occupant

Post by enthuzed »

Subject title was "my car is not DONE and probably never be!"
This became a self-fulfilling prophesy :roll:

Agree totally with Dave (Redzone). When a car is very rooted, move it in parts, but if it's a good one you gotta hang in there IMO.
With the numbers that was pushing out and all the goodies, it would have been a matter of time with some well placed advertising (and I don't mean here).
Reduce fuel costs by 15-20% & cut emissions by 1/3rd...
Increase engine performance & prolong engine life...
How?
Click the website button below & watch the 3 minute video.
MrSparkle
[P] Plates

Post by MrSparkle »

12K huh ? How long ago exactly? Times have changed and 12k for a car like that just isn't going to happen.

dreaming if you think that would have sold for more than I got for the parts.
NachoMan
nearly postwhore

Post by NachoMan »

Having 2 Starions for sale right now, I can completely sympathise with Shane (MrSparkle).
The Starion market might be a bit different over east, but here in West oz it's a very lean market indeed. Most of the enquiries I've had on both of mine have been from over east, and even a couple from overseas!

I'm even thinking about pulling the widebody apart and getting my money back with the individual sale of the parts, and if the shell doesn't sell then that too will go on the scrapheap.

Yes it's a shame to see a nice shell junked, but in reality it's not worth hanging on to in the hope that someone may buy it someday.

It's pure economics in the end, and as much as I love Starions, I'd be prepared to cut my losses and run too.
Shane made the right decision for him.
If you didn't like the decision, then maybe you should have bought the car?
Just saying...
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

maybe he should have advertised the shell as is? i didnt see it anywhere..

and besides, we all know starions take ages to sell. i sold the orange one for 12K about 3 years ago.

Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

"- Got entire car thats going to the wreckers if no one wants anything. Its complete its licenced and its blue.

(If anyone wants a rego'd shell let me know)

New carpet, lots of interior bits, suspension bits, steering bits, lights, windows, gas struts for the hatch, good condition hatch, good doors, rear seats are good.

PM me or Mr bender. "

From what I understood it was up for grabs??

How could you sell the orange car for 12k? what was it running, low 7's? :roll:

I dont think these guys should have left the shell rotting next to their house until someone wanted it/needed something...
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more
redzone
racking my brains

Post by redzone »

Orange car was a mint thing at the time, running flat 13's, was a complete package.

I'm not saying these guys had to hang onto it for years but at least offer the shell to someone instead of wrapping a chain around it & loading it onto a scrap truck...

jk
Mine is bigger than yours

Re: ...

Post by jk »

I totally get the economics of whats gone on here, it's your asset, liquidate it as best you can.

I think there's more than a couple of people around this forum who have a love of Starions and can't see or accept the wider public sentiment and hence value given to Starions in the open market. If there are black wideys in good nick going for around 10k here I don't think you could argue 12k for an orange flatty with sunken offset tri spokes would ever happen again, despite it's flat 13 sec performance. :roll:
NachoMan wrote:I'm even thinking about pulling the widebody apart and getting my money back with the individual sale of the parts, and if the shell doesn't sell then that too will go on the scrapheap.
What I do think is a shame is the "if it doesn't sell it goes to the scrap" mentality. If it's got to go from your property sold or not, at least offer it up to other enthusiests for free.
jb - white outside maroon inside
Sargeant_Khan
Enthusiast

Post by Sargeant_Khan »

I think the important thing to take away from my post was:
"(If anyone wants a rego'd shell let me know)"

I guess noone wanted it.
PIZZA DELIVERY GUY....No more