running sohc water pump

For all your twin cam conversion questions and hints
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

running sohc water pump

Post by siggy_gsr »

Hey guys, just wondering if i can use a RWD SOHC water pump like a lot of you guys have done if i keep the standard alternator position (VR4). Would rather make up some custom piping rather that relocate the alternator. Just wondering if it would foul on the alternator and if anyone else has gone this route.
Cheers
Alex

S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

im running the sohc water pump and vr4 alt, no issues
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

S0LJAH wrote:im running the sohc water pump and vr4 alt, no issues
Me too BUT !!! you will need to do a little grinding on the staz wp for clearence
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

Sweet, I'll grab a starion pump, any chance of a pic?
OLD FART
Austarion Occupant

Post by OLD FART »

siggy_gsr wrote:Sweet, I'll grab a starion pump, any chance of a pic?
Sorry it's on the car but you only have to grind off some of the raised ribs .Once you start to do the install it will quickly become clear exactly what you have to do
I've had mine since 03 07 92
85 JB 2323cc DOHC 4G63
THE OLDER I GET THE FASTER I WAS
GROWING OLD IS MANDATORY GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

You might have to move (press) the pump pulley in a bit further on the shaft to get the alignment right with the crank pulley if you are using the VR4 crank pulley/harmonic balancer (4 rib design). Its a bit trial and error.

Note also, use a wp pulley off a Nissan Pintara. They are the right ribbing and I found it aligned perfectly with the CP. Its slightly smaller in overall diameter and I just needed to redrill the 4 holes for attaching to the WP shaft flange.
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.
siggy_gsr
Lil' Dorifto

Post by siggy_gsr »

Okay cool thanks, just another question where are you guys getting your water feed for the turbo? Was gonna just drill and tap the casting on the water pump...
S0LJAH
I love starions

Post by S0LJAH »

WANTSOM wrote:You might have to move (press) the pump pulley in a bit further on the shaft to get the alignment right with the crank pulley if you are using the VR4 crank pulley/harmonic balancer (4 rib design). Its a bit trial and error.
i found the easiest way was to pull the whole pulley flange off the shaft then flip it over and press it back on as it allows for it to sit further back
WANTSOM
Pushing my luck

Post by WANTSOM »

^^^^^ Never thought of that, good idea. :D

This is why the Twin Cam section is so worthwhile. Lots of people inputting to make life easier. :beer
Never argue with an idiot, it brings you down to their level and they beat you with experience.